RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

What should i do after college?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Re: What should i do after college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
So, Mike, I assume that you hire a lot of mediocre retouchers who write great memos?
Your assumption is incorrect sir.

We judged our retouchers by the way our customers reacted to their work. If the customers where happy, if they willingly paid their bills, if they returned for more of our products, if they referred their friends to us, we considered them to be good retouchers for the market we where serving.

Maybe in a different market doing work they where not familiar with, their efforts could be called "mediocre" but their work was quite satisfactory for us.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 AM

"their efforts could be called "mediocre" but their work was quite satisfactory for us" great, but they could all spell the word "compromise" I bet.

"You have no idea of some of the resumes that I have decorated the bottom of my trash can with over the years" - sounds like the bottom of your trash can was the best part of the studio, pity no-one was looking.

Last edited by Markzebra; 11-03-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 12:29 PM

This is going against the popular opinion here, but I agree with Mike. It may have been harsh, but it is good advice. Whether you're writing a post, email, resume or text message (OK, not the text message), spelling and punctuation are important life skills, and ones that should have been developed after fifteen and a half years of education.
Of course an artist can have a successful career without sounding literate, but it's going to limit your options, and you will be judged before you ever get started.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 01:19 PM

I once had a manager who asked me to write something up about a procedure after a 60 hour week. This was not a function of my technical job, but, hey, what the heck, always make the boss happy, I say. His only response was not a "Thank You" or a detailed criticism of my little memo. Nope. I was talked down to about two spelling mistakes, like a tenth grader. That fellow was almost universally disliked by all below him and disdained by the people he sucked up to. Never learned a thing from the man. I think he was friendless in life. (Is friendless a word?)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 01:22 PM

There's no shortage of jerks in this world, and I've worked for my share too. Pretty sure friendless is a word.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 03:27 PM

Yes friendless is a word alright. Management is a skill a lot more difficult than any technical job, thats why the pay is better - One school, which uses tried and trusted principle that the more you undermine the confidence of your employees the more likely it is they will know who's boss - far less important is whether this also undermines their ability and desire to do their jobs. Maintaining your lead voluntarily is a lot more difficult, because honestly the main skill is keeping your mouth from shooting off.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs