RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

What should i do after college?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:54 PM

What should i do after college?

Im currently an art & design student and not sure what to do when i finish in may.

I want to be a retoucher/manipulator for fashion photography and maybe do some fashion magazine editing.

What should I be doing after college in order to get this started? Im assuming i should get a degree as this helps in gettin jobs but i know a few people who have started work or internships straight away but theres no guarantee i would get one straight away. If i was to do a degree what would be the best thing to do it in?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 10:25 AM

Re: What should i do after college?

Wait for a stroke of luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 10:54 AM

I am going to be super critical:

You are going to have to pay your dues before you will be considered for being an editor of anything. You will have to have a killer portfolio.

And you will have to write a resume. Unless you wrote the post as kind of a joke, your command of the rules of the language is working against you.

So by May, either work on the above and hope for a stoke of luck or learn the phrase "And would you like fries with that?"
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I am going to be super critical:

Unless you wrote the post as kind of a joke, your command of the rules of the language is working against you.
Please elaborate on this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 05:08 PM

That post by Mike is very unfair. But honestly, main thing you need .. luck. Second the ability to work hard initially for the love of it. Third talent
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 05:33 PM

By all means complete your degree. Credentials still rank very highly among those doing the hiring. Remember, your resume must get by the HR representative that is basically screening resumes based upon key words/phrases, experience and credentials. As a college graduate, you are not expected to have much experience (although internships certainly help). However, you are expected to have credentials, primarily the degree, then a portfolio, then some extra-curricular activities such as art shows, etc.

Work experience is important. Not with whom, but simply the fact that you did work in the field, no matter how simple. You should have been exposed to the workplace and understand the basic workflow and complexities that come with it. The recommendations from your colleagues will also be worth a lot. Even if you have to do some volunteer work for a photographer/artist, that's fine. As long as you are in the work place learning.

So, it's not so bad to have high aspirations. We all look back and wish we had aspired to do a bit more, earlier. But, don't let that keep you from working hard in whatever comes along. People still recognize hard work as a key in considering whether to hire you. So stay busy an involved. Again, it's not what you do it in... it's what you do with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink-fairy80 View Post
Please elaborate on this.
I will admit that I am not an English major but:

Every where I have worked and when I owned my own studio, prospective employees have to submit a resume along with whatever other things to be considered for a job. Any resume that was submitted that was written with all the mistakes you made in the post that you made here would automatically hit the bottom of the trash can followed by anything else you submitted.

One should be trying to show their best side with a resume. If written like your post I would assume that you either have very little knowledge of the English language or that you are some kind of person who just doesn't care about the rules of writing, in other words some kind of "rebel".

If you needed to have to write a memo or e-mail or something to a customer I would not want my business represented by something like that.

On the other hand if you are more of the "rebel" and are just not following those rules, then could I rely on you to follow our procedures in the lab?

In either case, I do not have time for you in my organization, and many other labs would be the same. If you want the job, you have to put your very best image out there, not only in your retouch work but in all your personal traits.

As I said I am being super critical in order to get you to think about this. You have no idea of some of the resumes that I have decorated the bottom of my trash can with over the years.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 PM

So, Mike, I assume that you hire a lot of mediocre retouchers who write great memos?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 02:48 AM

I'm sure Pink-Fairy double checks his/her resume and letters before sending them to potential employers. A forum post is always written in spoken like language.
Plus perhaps English is not Pink's mother-tongue - it's not mine, and I know I'm bound to commit crimes against english grammar.
Cheers

Last edited by Usurpator; 11-03-2008 at 02:51 AM. Reason: change sig
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 AM

The most important thing you can do once you finish school is get experience. Learn all you can about retouching, 3D, keylining, printing, etc. Get to know all the facets of the business to be as knowledgeable as you can. If you want to work in the fashion industry that is definitely a goal you can achieve once you have a good deal of experience and a STELLAR skill set, so don't lose faith. We were all you once and didn't know where to start too. Ya never know where the next great artist will come from.

When I finished school (I got my bachelors in the fine arts) I started off in production as a jr. I made horrible money and worked lots of hours, but what I learned was the most valuable education I've ever had. Not long after I was a full fledged retoucher working for ad agencies which is exactly what I wanted to do.

My suggestion is shortly before you graduate start scouring the internet for internships and jr positions at ad agencies, marketing departments for corporate offices (retail etc.) and publications. Get your resume together as well as a PDF of some of your sample work and send it off. If you need help finding companies who are hiring try websites like www.creativehotlist.com The way I found my first job was I went to a corporate job fair that was for college marketing and advertising students only. The internet is your best resource for contacts.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs