RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Retouching help wanted for photographer!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:11 AM

Retouching help wanted for photographer!

Hi,

I'm asking for anyone who'd like to have a go at helping a photographer with a retouching problem. He needs to remove foliage and branches behind a model and have remaining beautiful sky and the rocks and whatever plants make the picture work.

I have done a sketch for him but have no time to do the work. You can see the photograph at http://www.openphotographyforums.com...ead.php?t=7370

This picture does have the lady's bottom showing so if that's a problem, don't look! The photographer is very talented and this work is a new area for him.

Asher
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Re: Retouching help wanted for photographer!

See thats an example of what I always said about RAW, you get people with no retouching experience ruining their work before it ever gets to post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Besides removing some things, I used few gradient patches.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ml_chillin.jpg

Last edited by chillin; 11-02-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
Besides removing some things, I used few gradient patches.
Chillin,

Thanks for taking up the challenge. You can also post directly in OPF if you register. Allow me to show your work:

I do like the clean result. The result is impressive a makes the form of the picture work I wonder about two things. First the edge of the bushes to the right might be softened by adding few branches from the lower left of the picture and flipping them horizontally. Would you think it would be more striking if we added a space below her right leg either removing that diagonal trunk and some somehow defining her high shoes against the background?

Thanks so much for being so helpful.

Asher

I cross posted this thread in OPF here for René to see.

Last edited by Asher Kelman; 11-02-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 PM

Gradient patches?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
See thats an example of what I always said about RAW, you get people with no retouching experience ruining their work before it ever gets to post.
Hi Mark,

Yes, the colors are weird, but this is a satire on Fetish. That's an artistic choice. The art is the personal vision of the photographer somehow externalized to a 2D image. The camera does not see like the mind might imagine. It's only capable of recording what's out there. Our job then is to minimize the gap between what the artist wants and the final result.

A major part of art is the form devoid of any social or emotional meaning. Here the scene was felt to be too cluttered. What's intended to be shared here with this problem picture is not the failings of the photographerin screwing up things, LOL! Looking down on lack of skill doesn't get us anywhere.

Let's look at this in a more positive way. What I though would be a good idea was a bridge between you the retoucher and photographers, just like René who might not yet know what nice chaps talented retouchers are to work with.

I myself would love to see retouchers reach out educate photographers as to what is possible.

Asher

Last edited by Asher Kelman; 11-02-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Chillin,
...First the edge of the bushes to the right might be softened by adding few branches from the lower left of the picture and flipping them horizontally. Would you think it would be more striking if we added a space below her right leg either removing that diagonal trunk and some somehow defining her high shoes against the background?

Thanks so much for being so helpful.

Asher
Yes, it requires some more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirespen View Post
Gradient patches?
Yes, The patches should be small enough, to allow a proper gradient distribution. (Below a patch sample)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patch chillin.jpg (68.3 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 05:04 PM

"Looking down on lack of skill doesn't get us anywhere." - a fair point. Its not just skill though surely, its taste. And its not just colour, its a terrible tonal sense too. maybe I'm wrong and probably far too quick to judge, I can be I will admit. But as a starting point for retouching, that image is destroyed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
"Looking down on lack of skill doesn't get us anywhere." - a fair point. Its not just skill though surely, its taste. And its not just colour, its a terrible tonal sense too. maybe I'm wrong and probably far too quick to judge, I can be I will admit. But as a starting point for retouching, that image is destroyed.
Hi Mark,

For sure I'd need Compazine or stronger if I had to face those colors. Imagine how painful it must be for a girl at the makeup counter when some woman chooses awful colors. Same for a retoucher! The photographer knows the direction he's going. One issue that you well know is color and tonal effects are often overdone. Yes, one needs taste! There's feedback and I find that when framed well, it generally is well received. You're correct that the changes that are global can be done at the very end. If you want the RAW file just ask!

Asher
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2008, 06:33 PM

Hey Mark,

I am sorry you feel that way about the colors. I feel that as an artist it is my personal choice to use those colors to enhance the contrast between the "romantic" light of the sunset and the "harshness" of the fetish boots on that model. Of course the colors are exagerated, again it is my choice as an artist...

Rene-Frank
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs