RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Retouching rates for wedding pics?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Re: Retouching rates for wedding pics?

Hey Quantum3Studio, I took your "before" picture and fixed it up using only CS3.

Here's what I came up with -

http://www.photoshopflux.com/pics/myafter.jpg

What do you think? I've never worked with RAW files before, but I'm sure if I had the original, I could make it look even better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic Touch View Post
I was going to purchase lightroom but when I got the new CS4 it has alot of the same features as lightroom so really I didn't need it. the problem with charging that much for wedding retouch is the amount of images you are dealing with the photographer is not going to want to scrafice that much profit. You are talking about for 1200 images your charge @ 3.00 each would be 3600.00 that is alot of money to pay and a lot of lost profit for the photographer. If the photographer work is needing that much retouch someone needs to tackfully talk to him about what he can do to make his images better.

In the before and after sample you just sent again much of that should have been corrected in Camera Raw, or in your case Lightroom.
Well, these pics where corrected with an old version of lightroom, the one without brushes and I cannot use them though. I have to buy a faster CPU, but this photographer used to sent me around 300-400 pictures per month. He also payed 10 dollars for black and white pictures like these: http://picasaweb.google.es/Quantum3S...y=HpTsPaepmP4#
I did +1200 pictures for him, lot of hard work on some of them. Just look how they look, they're already retouched, the originals, well... you already have seen those...

I gave him some tips, since I'm a photograher, but I didn't want to jeopardizing the relationship with the client. There a re lot of faults in his pics and I would sound annoying for him, you know. Empty Pride is our worst enemy, it doesn't let us grow, but well...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic Touch View Post
Honestly if you you are getting that price for Wedding retouch Kudos to you. I think thats great.
Yeah? It was weird... I just received an e-mail saying something like "I have 100 pictures per week to be fixed, I pay 300 dollars, do you agree?).

I did some calculations and of course, I said YES! I DO!!! Like a silly bride HAha... Automatically, he sent me 50 photos, I retouched all of them send those back to the client, after a while, he asked my personal data and he told me "Go to Western Union", I didn't know what the hell was that. I found one and I found those forms you know, then I went to the cashier (don't know the exact word) and the cashier gave me not only the payment for the 50 pictures I did for the photographer, also the payment for the next 50 and the next 100 photos. It was like... WTF!? Was the happiest day of my life (and my first one as Freelancer). I have worked for him for around 6 months, after that, he dissapeared but he paid all the stuff. Weird... Now I have another amazing client from California and another, not so cool from U.K. but anyway, he pays and that's what matters.

Seems I'm lucky. I thought I wasn't.

Will keep all these comments in mind when dealing with wedding photographers then

Thanks lot for the info

Kudos for you too

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosapience View Post
Hey Quantum3Studio, I took your "before" picture and fixed it up using only CS3.

Here's what I came up with -

http://www.photoshopflux.com/pics/myafter.jpg

What do you think? I've never worked with RAW files before, but I'm sure if I had the original, I could make it look even better.
It's nice, but the client asked me to do an excellent job in those pictures since the client was very important and he messed up the photos too much. I did as much as I could.

The client will ask you to:

1) Enlight the faces (something I disagree, but anyway, colored people wants to look like white people because fashion, that was he told me).
2) Remove the haze from the subjects.
3) Paint a natural color to the skin.
4) Remove the moiré all around the subjects.
5) Remove blemishes.
6) Recover detail.

And of course, color balance.

These items would require lot of selections, a very painstaking job but, if you turn the pic into Lab, would be easier. Unfortunately, in that period of time, I didn't know how to work with Lab ^^

Have a nice day, bro
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
It's nice, but the client asked me to do an excellent job in those pictures since the client was very important and he messed up the photos too much. I did as much as I could.

The client will ask you to:

1) Enlight the faces (something I disagree, but anyway, colored people wants to look like white people because fashion, that was he told me).
2) Remove the haze from the subjects.
3) Paint a natural color to the skin.
4) Remove the moiré all around the subjects.
5) Remove blemishes.
6) Recover detail.

And of course, color balance.

These items would require lot of selections, a very painstaking job but, if you turn the pic into Lab, would be easier. Unfortunately, in that period of time, I didn't know how to work with Lab ^^

Have a nice day, bro
I had no idea what your client wanted, I just tried to make the picture look as normal as possible. I'm by no means a retouching pro, as I've only been using photoshop for a few months. I just wanted to know if the photo looked alright to you or not.

Anyway, I'll try altering the photo further and see what I can do with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2009, 07:30 AM

Thumbs up Re: Retouching rates for wedding pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosapience View Post
I had no idea what your client wanted, I just tried to make the picture look as normal as possible. I'm by no means a retouching pro, as I've only been using photoshop for a few months. I just wanted to know if the photo looked alright to you or not.

Anyway, I'll try altering the photo further and see what I can do with it.
Well, it was a simulation. The client will think "Where are the retouchings?" and he will point those items.
This pic is one of the hardest ones. Honestly, the pic doesn't look like processed.

At the very first of the relationship, client and freelancer will have some discussions but remember this: discussions are the product of bad communication, and bad communications means that freelancer didn't put a "base of work". I mean, statements.

Because this one was my first client, I didn't put any statment and he started asking more and more adjustments, like the thing about the face enlightening. And he also asked not to use glamour look, you know, that cheap effect of blurring a bit the scene by using blenings and opacities, but firstly, he wanted. Anyway, I keep my self quite and relaxed and did what he wanted.

What I have learnt from that? Always set a basis, a method of work or you will end: 1) fighting and loosing your client and reputation; 2) working much more than expected for the same money.

Have a nice day, bro
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs