RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Retouching rates for wedding pics?

Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM

Retouching rates for wedding pics?

Hi,

I am not a "specialized pro retoucher" (im a freelance photog), although I do my own retouching for my own low-budget photography gigs. I know alot of PPing/retouching techniques and consider myself well above medium in skill level at least and im always progressive (always trying to learn new techniques everyday)

Anyways, I was contacted to do retouching for a wedding photographer. I do not have any idea what I should be charging; but of course, we all know the typical wedding photogs' rate when he/she does the shoot.

Should I be charging per hour, per pic, or per project. Any idea on how much? (im NYC based too)

I am well aware wedding photogs have ALOT of "final images". So im thinking this is going to be alot of work.

Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 AM

Re: Retouching rates for wedding pics?

One way to do it is to look at your standard rate per hour, estimate the hours involved in retouching, and charge that amount. Ask for 50% up front. This will allow you to recover costs if something goes wrong with the transaction. Get it in writing. I often use this method for Spanish translations, and it seems to work out well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 PM

I am sort of in the same boat, but unfortunately shot low. So I am getting 1-2.25 per image, which is whatever to me. Honestly, I have only been using photoshop for like a month, took an intense crash course to get the job, so I guess I can't complain too much. From what I know from my photographer friends, you should prob be getting per image, its easiest. Shoot high, don't make my mistake. I could have done 3 per image and with your experience I think if you're worth your salt charge 5.00 minimum and do a trial and make them understand that they need you to get more business. If you do high end stuff, keep it in check and charge up for the best images. Just my opinion, good luck.

What do others think? I am curious to know myself what average pay would be...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 11:22 PM

I used to charge 3 dollars per image to a canadian wedding photographer. He was my second client and I was very happy with the payment. It takes a bit of time matching the client's needs, even if you're excellent, each client has a personal taste. Some of them like plastic doll skin, others preffers a perfect skin but keeping it real, others wants you to remove things that you may think that shouldn't be removed and so on... I usually start by doing 3 free samples, then, I start doing 15 pictures and after that I ask for the payment. If all is okay, I ask the client for the remaining pics.

Conclusion: each client has it own standard and it need some time to matching it.

I just draw a conclsuion in my mind about how much money earns the client by thinking how much the client pays. If the client pays 3 dollars each picture, so, the client earns 80-90% more money, usually.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 AM

Location: South Carolina, United States www.artistictouchstudio.com

Usually wedding photographers aren't looking for you to make the pictures perfect. Meaning you don't have to retouch them like you do portraits. I charge .40 for Raw image retouch touch, which means we only retouch in Digital Raw and then I Charge .65 for regular wedding retouching. Which is just making the picture look really nice. If a photographer wants certain ones retouched such as head swaps object removal or any portrait retouch I charge seprately for that. Usually they just want you to make the photo look good not fully retouched. My portrait retouch is anywhere from 5.00 to 20.00 depending on what needs to be done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic Touch View Post
Usually wedding photographers aren't looking for you to make the pictures perfect. Meaning you don't have to retouch them like you do portraits. I charge .40 for Raw image retouch touch, which means we only retouch in Digital Raw and then I Charge .65 for regular wedding retouching. Which is just making the picture look really nice. If a photographer wants certain ones retouched such as head swaps object removal or any portrait retouch I charge seprately for that. Usually they just want you to make the photo look good not fully retouched. My portrait retouch is anywhere from 5.00 to 20.00 depending on what needs to be done.
Hi bro

Are you chargin 0.40 cents per pic by editing the RAW File? Mmmhhh... I charged 3 dollars per the RAW Editing and the PS Editing. This sounds weird, I see you're from California... Cannot believe 0.40 cents...

Well... The photos I had retouched were so bad taken that I was like 30-45 minutes of fixing each image. You know, bad expossed images (like -4 or -3 stops!), noise, color shift, incorrect white balance, wrong skin colors (like lilac instead brown), bad focused, detail lost in some pictures and the guy wanted them perfect. I also removed blemishes and he also asked me to enlight the face of the subjects (the were hindus living in Canada). I will show you an A&F of a normal pic converted to something more interesting: http://picasaweb.google.es/Quantum3S...48600208993586 Click on the loupe for a better view That picture tooks me around 1 hour betwee ncorrecting and enhancing detail in this unusual manner (and I have to do most of them with that effect, even the really bad pictures). I think this must be a 7.5 usd pic. Let me know what do you think
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM

I am actually in South Carolina. If that image started out as a Raw file You should have been able to fix it with in about 5min at the most. What program are you correcting Raw files, if you are using Photoshop what version? That time frame seems alittle extreme.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic Touch View Post
I am actually in South Carolina. If that image started out as a Raw file You should have been able to fix it with in about 5min at the most. What program are you correcting Raw files, if you are using Photoshop what version? That time frame seems alittle extreme.
Hi

Well... I can tweak 100 images, like the one shown, in about 1 hour in Adobe Lightroom, but, when the picture is a total chaos, it takes much longer and, my PC is not faster enough, so I'm not able to use brushes in Lightroom.

Side note: do you use Lightroom? How fluent works in your PC and what type of size are the pictures you edit in it? Whaty type of PC do you have? 32 or 64 bits plataform?

After the RAW Processing, I must send them to PSCS3 in order to finish the job with ease because the exported file becomes lighter.

Check this B&A example, this took me around 45 minutes to fix (I even had to fix the extreme moiré deffect all around the silluoettes):

Before: http://picasaweb.google.es/Quantum3S...53468478861186

After: http://picasaweb.google.es/Quantum3S...53501033668082
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 PM

I was going to purchase lightroom but when I got the new CS4 it has alot of the same features as lightroom so really I didn't need it. the problem with charging that much for wedding retouch is the amount of images you are dealing with the photographer is not going to want to scrafice that much profit. You are talking about for 1200 images your charge @ 3.00 each would be 3600.00 that is alot of money to pay and a lot of lost profit for the photographer. If the photographer work is needing that much retouch someone needs to tackfully talk to him about what he can do to make his images better.

In the before and after sample you just sent again much of that should have been corrected in Camera Raw, or in your case Lightroom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 PM

Honestly if you you are getting that price for Wedding retouch Kudos to you. I think thats great.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs