RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Client flaked without paying... what now?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 AM

Re: Client flaked without paying... what now?

Thanks all for good advise. So I should send a purchase order/contract to clients?

My current process is:

1) Get contacted by the client, discuss the number of images and type of work. Client fills out simple order form (so I have their needs as they describe them to me on file) and release (just to cover my butt for copyright/usage purposes)
2) Receive images, evaluate and send quote.
3) Get approval on quote and begin work. Send lo-res watermarked proofs on completion.
4) Get approval on proofs and send invoice.
5) Receive payment and send full-size images.

So where in there should I add a purchase order or contract? Or is there a better way for me to work. I can't decide on the deposit/partial payment thing since I don't want to alienate potential clients but don't want to get screwed over (like this) again. Still trying to build up a good client base. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2008, 12:31 AM

For step number 2, send an estimate in writing instead of just a quote. It should include in detail what the client is expected to pay for and when. You can google "freelance estimate or contract"... Here is a pretty good description....
http://advertising.about.com/cs/copy...tocontract.htm

If a client is wishy washy about it, then it will help you weed out the clients you don't want to work with. Most clients will appreciate the guidelines you set up, because then they'll know what to expect and will know that you're not wishy washy either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhebeauty View Post
Thanks all for good advise. So I should send a purchase order/contract to clients?

My current process is:

1) Get contacted by the client, discuss the number of images and type of work. Client fills out simple order form (so I have their needs as they describe them to me on file) and release (just to cover my butt for copyright/usage purposes)
2) Receive images, evaluate and send quote.
3) Get approval on quote and begin work. Send lo-res watermarked proofs on completion.
4) Get approval on proofs and send invoice.
5) Receive payment and send full-size images.

So where in there should I add a purchase order or contract? Or is there a better way for me to work. I can't decide on the deposit/partial payment thing since I don't want to alienate potential clients but don't want to get screwed over (like this) again. Still trying to build up a good client base. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2009, 03:10 AM

i doubt anyone will comply with your cancellation fee policy. i would definitely stay on her about paying for your time. you did the work, and deserve compensation. in the future, i would request that the buyer make a commitment to you and the work by paying half down up front. i've been cheated a ton, and i never stop saying what you said. "that will teach me". dude, sometimes it never does.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 PM

She probably was outsourcing without having any idea about the topic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2009, 06:54 PM

Sinisa said earlier in the thread "Perhaps we should black list dodgy clients, start a forum or even a website which would expose unethical work relationships." - been thinking about this and think its a good idea. Course problem is it might be open to competitive abuse, but it might expose a few.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinisa View Post
It's tricky to ask for all the money ahead because it's risky for the client too.
I normally do a free test for a new client and if there is a series of images to do, I first work on one image and send them jpegs. Once they are happy with the result we agree about the rest.

I also have my share of unpaid jobs in the past.
Can you reveal the name of the client?

Perhaps we should black list dodgy clients, start a forum or even a website which would expose unethical work relationships.
Here: http://www.freelanceair.org/index.php
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs