RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Marketing and promotion as a freelancer

Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 AM

Re: Marketing and promotion as a freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny7 View Post
Janko, Great work. I agree with twopoint0. You should exploit your pre-press skills, obviously your retouching skills are spot on. Agencies want and all around person. My experience in the BIG ad agencies in NYC were retouching AND pre-press. Good luck.
I like people who agree with me. They are smart. And good looking. Great comments Sonny!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 03:20 PM

No comments on your question - sorry.
I just wanted to say l like the case study implementation on your site!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Janko... Marketing yourself. THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. Your web site is excellent and can serve as a base to get your talent seen. I've been in the advertising business for 30 years and can vouch for personal contacts. It will increase your direct mail cost, but find an ad specialty item to include in the mailing. A small "zip" letter opener, a business card magnet, a flexible ruler, anything light to fit in a standard mailing. Have them printed with your name, web page/email and a phone number. Trust me, it will hang around more than 5 minutes on the recipient's desk. It acts as a tangible sales call.

It also gives you an intro when you start calling your contacts... "Hi, I'm Janko, graphic designer (what ever). I sent you a brochure of my work along with a magnet/ruler/letter opener...." Although they've never met you, they feel _some_ connection and an obligation to listen to your spiel. Your opportunity to toot your horn. Maybe even set up a personal interview.

If you do get that interview, Take along another small gift of a little greater value (pen, coffee cup, monitor "dust brusher", USB thumb drive) again imprinted with your name etc. When you are looking for a job, you are a salesman. SELL YOURSELF. Leave a reason for them to remember you. Even if they don't have a current opening, they will think of you when they do.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2009, 07:36 PM

Thanks all for your kind words...

Shift - I remember going to your site the other day in from another thread and thinking how excellent your site was, the level of interactivity is top notch, and it runs super smooth. Did you develop the site? If you did I would consider selling or licensing a template. One thing I noticed though, every time I click on 'see ad layout' it crashes firefox for me.

Swampy - thanks for your advice, I will definitely think about how to stand out. Ever since you posted I've been thinking about a few ideas that I might try out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2009, 09:09 PM

Hi Janko.
Thanks for your kind words too. I designed the look/interface and conceived the implementation/functionality of the site. Then I worked very closely with a Flash programmer to get it built. There is actually a whole list of things in the works to make the site better/faster (the Firefox issue being one of them - although I can't make it happen myself - would you care to PM me with the specifics?), but the programmer is too busy right now. No, I wouldn't consider selling/licensing it, because I put too much effort into it to make it unique (ish).

Sorry to be off topic here. I'll try to post a little description of how I've gotten work in the industry. Just not right now.

thanks,
--Sheldon.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs