RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Academia is so ....... out there

Old 04-13-2009, 05:10 PM

Re: Academia is so ....... out there

Thanks, but I was being rhetorical.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Saw this on Craigslist today:

Did you get all that? Now, everybody who has worked in pre press raise your hands. Now, all of you who have, do you know anybody who is any good at anything with a "Masters" degree (in the field)? I thought so. What world do they live in?

NOPE, i wasn't even aware you could get a masters in Graphic Arts..i find it funny they mention scanning, our 2 scanners sit around collecting dust...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 PM

And, the way I read it is that they expect you to still be connected to the professional world while teaching or whatever: "The successful candidate will be expected to pursue creative, scholarly and professional activities at a level appropriate to advertising design and graphic arts.". Sorta like having to publish in the humanities.

I really want to meet the person who wrote this ad and question him or her. I think it would be like talking to an alien.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
What's an Assistant/Associate Professor? A fancy term for a teaching assistant? This stuff has been going on at least 10 years back when I was still in school working hard toward a very expensive piece of paper in the BFA program that I haven't found a single employer that cares to look at. The professor just spoke gibberish about art theories for hours while holding a blank piece of paper. The teaching assistant was the one that responsible to teach the real hand-on stuff 'cause the professor literally didn't know how to use the program. It was just terrible and they had been doing that years before I was there.
That's absolutely true. It happens a lot in Argentina as well...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 03:34 AM

Yes I think we have all experienced people in supervisory roles who can't even use a computer. I worked in a design agency 7 years ago, and was greeted by their head of design who proudly informed me "can't use all this new computer stuff, pencil and paper man myself" I was thinking, 'sooner or later, this guys surely going to lose his job' Went back there last year, and the only person I recognise is him! he's still there, still not touching the hands-on.

Some people seem to come from a position that lack of technical skill is actually a benefit, not a hindrance. And by sheer BELIEF seem to pull it off. Always baffled me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 AM

Nope. They won't. That person doesn't exist, as described. Betcha ten bucks.

Exactly my point!
but thet still find people
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Yes I think we have all experienced people in supervisory roles who can't even use a computer. I worked in a design agency 7 years ago, and was greeted by their head of design who proudly informed me "can't use all this new computer stuff, pencil and paper man myself" I was thinking, 'sooner or later, this guys surely going to lose his job' Went back there last year, and the only person I recognise is him! he's still there, still not touching the hands-on.

Some people seem to come from a position that lack of technical skill is actually a benefit, not a hindrance. And by sheer BELIEF seem to pull it off. Always baffled me.
You betcha. I worked for a major sports magazine for some time, and the "Design Director" of that kingdom was a proud luddite. I thought the same as you, Apeman, thinking that he wouldn't survive the modern world, but, he's still there, and has been in that position since '84. It's all about being a political animal at some point, especially in a large company.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 09:09 AM

Someone will talk their way into that position, talk their through it and be just fine until someone realizes that they are learning from the students.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2009, 11:35 AM

Hey everybody, I got that job. Posted in march, sent my CV, etc. way back then. Interviewed in October with the search committee, then last week with the President of the University. Maybe I "talked my way into the position", but I meet all the qualifications they required. MFA? Yup - in fine art. 10 years of retouching and a load of other professional experience, including working as a graphic designer for the Museum of Natural History.

Not everyone in these forums does one thing only.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2009, 11:56 AM

pixelmonger: 1 — retouchpro community: 0
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs