RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Academia is so ....... out there

Old 04-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Academia is so ....... out there

Saw this on Craigslist today:

"POSITION DESCRIPTION AND DUTIES:
The New York City College of Technology Department of Advertising Design & Graphic Arts invites applications for the full-time Assistant/Associate Professor position in the Graphics Arts and Advertising Production AAS and B. Tech degree programs.

Responsible for teaching basic, intermediate and advanced digital imaging and vector art courses. Must be an expert in applied theory for digital imaging, color management, retouching, scanning, and vector art.

Departmental duties include participation in department advisement, curriculum development, student activities and college-wide committees. The successful candidate will be expected to pursue creative, scholarly and professional activities at a level appropriate to advertising design and graphic arts. Teaching assignments may include day, evening and Saturday courses.

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Master’s degree required; master’s degree plus sustained record of relevant professional experience required for tenure. Experience with digital production management is required. The preferred candidate will have leadership experience developing appropriate and optimized raster and vector digital graphics for a variety of print and non-print graphic communications output. The successful candidate should be able to compare and contrast industry specifications for digital imaging and demonstrate best practices for efficient and effective presentations. The desired candidate should also have a working knowledge of prepress, presswork, post press, Six Sigma methodology, and digital asset management; must be computer literate on multiple operating systems; and should be able to deliver both traditional and online instructions for the classroom and on the internet. A record of success in obtaining industry support for educational programs or in grant submissions will be viewed favorably. University level teaching experience or five-plus years experience in a graphic arts production management job also preferred."

Did you get all that? Now, everybody who has worked in pre press raise your hands. Now, all of you who have, do you know anybody who is any good at anything with a "Masters" degree (in the field)? I thought so. What world do they live in?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2009, 07:19 PM

Re: Academia is so ....... out there

Looking for a change of career Benny? That ad reads like "we actually got someone, who wants the job. He may be crap - but unfortunately we need to advertise anyway, so we'll get round the problem by asking for the impossible" -odd that it doesn't mention tea making skills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2009, 07:44 PM

Well, yeah, Apeman, I could maybe be making a nice little sum supplementing my vast fortune in savings as a kindly old teacher of Photoshop, spreading my extensive knowledge and talents to a new, eager generation of retouchers. And, a little, uh, adoration from some of the younger female students would be nice, also.
I don't quite read that ad the way you did, though, but you may have something there. Might explain it.
The way I see it, they're advertising for a stupid person. Only a stupid person would apply for a job with that kind of education and work experience for a assistant/associate professor's wage and hours.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 04-12-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 AM

Thanks for that. It made my day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2009, 06:38 AM

But Unfortunately people will apply And probably quite a few
Its been said before,its the way it is,you see all sorts of adds for people ,We want ten years experience ten years of schooling ,be totally effecient on every imaging program on the planet,and be 25
or my favorite looking for an intern (SLAVE),that we do not have to pay and probably knows as much if not more than us.
This intern thing I have seen popping up a lot lately by the way
But you know what?these companies/institutions are finding people,so what does that say
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2009, 08:44 AM

Nope. They won't. That person doesn't exist, as described. Betcha ten bucks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 10:10 AM

I have a masters in fine arts and 9+ years working in prepress and retouching, as well as two years teaching art and printmaking. And I live in New York. I should apply.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 10:18 AM

teach art at a junior high, nice hours, paid summers off....i have friends who love the gig.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 03:58 PM

What's an Assistant/Associate Professor? A fancy term for a teaching assistant? This stuff has been going on at least 10 years back when I was still in school working hard toward a very expensive piece of paper in the BFA program that I haven't found a single employer that cares to look at. The professor just spoke gibberish about art theories for hours while holding a blank piece of paper. The teaching assistant was the one that responsible to teach the real hand-on stuff 'cause the professor literally didn't know how to use the program. It was just terrible and they had been doing that years before I was there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 04:01 PM

Assistant/Associate Professor is the industry standard term in academia for an entry-level but tenure-tracked professor job.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs