RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Working on weekends and holidays?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Working on weekends and holidays?

Hi, i'm a junior retoucher, 1 year experience to be exact actually, full-time in a photography studio in Singapore. Seems to me, we retouchers actually do have to work through many nights, sometimes weekends, and even public holidays...when everyone else is out there celebrating the holidays and socializing.

Is it a common "lifestyle" in this commercial line?? Whether we like it or not?
It would be great to hear from other full-time or freelance professionals out there from all sides of the world about your experiences and thoughts about this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 PM

Re: Working on weekends and holidays?

Well, it's a service industry, as are photography and printing. I've worked a LOT of weekends and holidays over the years, but that's the way it is. You might consider moving your talents into an ad agency- less weekends and holidays, summer hours, plenty of free food in the kitchen. ahh, that's better.
Having said that, you've been on the job for one year? Stop complaining and get back to work!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 02:21 PM

with the current economy, haven't had to do that too much in a while...but at my place, which is a fairly large house, normal workday is about 9a - 6:30-7p.

we usually work the weekends once a month when we're busy (normal).

I hate it with a passion because i freelanced for about 8 years then went on staff about 1 year ago. I personally would have to be HEAVILY persuaded to work a major holiday, and even then can't imagine myself showing up!!!

"permalancing is a great deal if you can make connections and fall into that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 03:24 PM

A few years ago I worked at this place where I worked 28 days straight...yes, 28 (10 hrs minimum) days straight. I don't think it was legal in California, but I did what it took to get the job done, and they paid me for the OT. I'm considering going back, 'cause I know the work is there and that I just got laid off. Be thankful that you're busy working.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm working a serious 9-5 right now for the first time in my life, and, I'm not too fond of it. I used to love doing weekend things during the week, and visa versa. But, I do have a sort of social life.

The best is a three day (12 hour day) week, daylight hours.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 AM

Well... that will depend how long you want to reach in your life and how long you want to live. You don't need to get stressed in your work if you find the proper person that can do some of the job for you, and pay for that. But that will depend on how much work you have.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 AM

oh... i do love my job and am grateful to be still employed. It was just a friendly question to check on how others are doing and coping to have a healthy balance of work and personal life.

My normal workdays are 9am - 6pm too. Yet most times the OT comes from dealing with clients who seems to think that we work 24 hours and expect to be delivered the next day of "their" working day. I'm sure many encountered such clients and deadlines. How should we handle them, or handle ourselves? Is it ok to tell clients that working hours are such and such and ask them to relook the deadlines? I heard of retouching houses, those large ones though are 24/7, but they probably could afford to work shifts. Maybe that sets clients expectations? And as far as i understand, the business side will never say no to jobs from clients.
Although i've worked for 1 yr, i feel that there's a lot for me to learn and understand, in terms of technical as well as the business aspect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3Studio View Post
Well... that will depend how long you want to reach in your life and how long you want to live. You don't need to get stressed in your work if you find the proper person that can do some of the job for you, and pay for that. But that will depend on how much work you have.
i want to live long and live well. haahaa =)
So i guess the best solution is to look for an assistant retoucher to lighten to workload....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2009, 05:29 PM

yes, im in london and we are all expected to work like dogs sometimes
weekends and late nights...

and a lot of places wont even pay you for it

fun fun
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2009, 06:06 PM

I have routinely worked 30+ days without a day off, 10-12 and sometimes 24+hour shifts, and most certainly weekends and holidays. It's not preferable, but on the brightside, we're getting paid to be artists, and that makes it worth it.
Times is lean though now, I'd love to have a 12 hour day again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs