Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Am I being silly?

Old 04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Smile Am I being silly?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping that one of you clever people might be able to help me out? I have searched the forums but could only find $ prices for this kind of thing, and I'm not sure how much this service differs in the US from the UK price wise.

I went for a job interview to retouch photographs for a wedding photographer recently. He wants to pay me £25 for levels and colour correction across all the photos, (between 30-50 images per job) and £3 - £5 per photo for any cloning, object removal or effects. The photographer seems reluctant to tell me how many of these there will be.

I normally get about £70 per day (I'm still a junior) that’s about £9 per hour.

Does this seem a bit low for the object removal and effects ones? Am I just being too picky or slow with the retouching? Sometimes it takes me at least an hour to remove a really badly positioned person, and £5 an hour is well below minimum wage!

Is he taking the mickey? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Disco Siren
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Lightbulb Re: Am I being silly?

Well... I think it's not enough money for cloning. I have around 10 years using Photoshop, but only 3 of serious using, you know. At least in the U.S. $1.20-$0.90 dollars is what they pay for basic corrections in wedding photos. I was paid $3 American Dollars per photo by a Canadian Wedding Photographer for fixing his photos. Plus the basic corrections, he asked me also for enlightening the skin tones (the photographer only worked for Hindus and Indians and also for "Hinduchristians") also, very basic blemish removal (just spots, moles, that thing) and skin smoothing. Nothing about cloning and/or adding skies, but I did it anyway. Giving a nice enhancement to all the photos, you know, and making some good gray scale images which paid around $15 American Dollars per gray scaled images as well but I just wanted $7.5 for each of those, he was a very nice guy but he suddenly disappeared (and he paid all the photos I did for him, around +1200 in 6 month.'m still wondering why he disappeared).

Just basic corrections are okay for 2 pounds per photo, but keep in mind what you have to do. Cloning and such other complex stuff demands time and usually it's a painstakingly job. I suggest you cloning be charged per hour because some photos will demand more than others in that case, same with special effects, unless you have some actions or presets, personal ones or not, charge them separately and by hour.

Chek your PM, we may have a deal

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs