RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Resume Help

Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 PM

Resume Help

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site, 25+ years retouching experience never had to really look for a job on my own mostly work with automotive retouching for the big guys. I recently got laid off and need to start looking for some freelance work but don't even know where to start. Does a retouchers resume look the same as any other? go down the line listing the 8 different companies I've worked for for the past 25 years and what I did? I don't have my own website because if would be a conflicting interest with the company I work for what is the most professional way to e-mail places my work? Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2009, 10:57 PM

Re: Resume Help

Are you in Detroit?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 PM

Yes, but I'm trying to look on craigslist for extra work and just trying to figure out the easiest way to go about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 06:08 PM

I've been getting the majority of my work from Detroit for years now, but it's mostly dried up. At least for a freelancer like myself in Atlanta.

A friend of mine up there started working at Midcoast a few months ago, and so far, he's enjoying it.

As far as the resumé goes, you could look up some more established freelancers on google and look at theirs.....couldn't hurt to emulate the successful, right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 AM

The resume should look like any other. I like squeezing it all in on one page. Keep it simple, and, avoid dates that may tip off your age if you're older - age discrimination is rampant in today's market, I hear, although a highly skilled retoucher with experience should do well.

I also don't have a website, but you must have a printed portfolio to show at some time. That will be key. E-mail some before and after low rez as a preview. Make a CD/DVD for snail mailing.

You may have to seriously think of moving from Detroit. Not the best of places in America for employment for some time to come.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM

oldman- I'm curious about the "conflict of interest" with the company that let you go. As long as you were responsible for all of the work from start to finish you should be able to show it on a website. It's not like you're selling the images that are owned by the company. I think even a basic site showing before and afters is critical in today's market.
Has anyone here had a negative legal experience from something like this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM

I haven't had any negative legal experience from that, no. In fact, I called up one of the studios I used to work at and asked if they could unarchive a job I worked on 5 years ago for my book, and they had no problem with it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs