RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Box New York

Old 06-19-2009, 11:29 AM

Re: Box New York

I am interest your job from you.I working full time,please contact nichasir@gmail.com
Thank you for you contact us.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2009, 12:03 PM

Do you like cookies? Of course you do. You're hired!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2009, 04:44 AM

They are the most expensive retouching outfit in the world from what I've heard, but I don't know anyone who would pay 10K for an editorial shot, certainly not Nick Knight, who I've worked with several times. You'll be very lucky to get £300 an image for editorial, cover or no cover.
I have seen some shockingly bad work come out of Box, and given to the agency I'm represented by to be 'fixed' before it could be published. Maybe it was done by a junior, but it shouldn't have been allowed out in the state it was in.
I've heard they don't let the client comment on the image until it's completely finished, and all the stuff about each retoucher only working on hair or skin, which seems ridiculous to me, but who knows how much is true and how much is rumour?
I've worked for most of the big London retouching houses over the past few years, and have heard rumours about many of them that had absolutely no basis in reality. People like having a air of mystery about them, especially retouchers - if everyone knew how we do what we do, they'd do it themselves (just not as well!).
Box do some great work, but in a global recession, being the most expensive option doesn't often work. The problem is, there just aren't that many great NYC retouching houses, so if you're the best option available to US photographers, I guess they feel they have to pay the premium.
On the other hand, we get a hell of a lot of American photographers coming to London to get their retouching done these days, or at least working via FTP. They tell us that the standards are higher over here and we work for less because there's more competition between retouching houses, with no one company having a monopoly on talent or clients. If you do a bad job, they take their business elsewhere, and that makes sense to me!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annawj View Post
They are the most expensive retouching outfit in the world from what I've heard, but I don't know anyone who would pay 10K for an editorial shot!
Conde Nast did in recent years, and they also were generous at times for edit inside, but I doubt that is happening today with the state of money as it is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 AM

I do think its interesting how in London there has never been a 'huge' retouching company. I know Metro got pretty big at one point (especially due to film and processing) but when digital took over they (like many labs) had to downsize rapidly. The retouching dept. they had was big and had some amazing retouchers, but I fear they all left to start up their own companies many years ago. I was once shown around the retouching set up about 15 years ago, when they had Quantel Paintbox / Silicon Graphics systems in place.
I wonder what the future holds for Box in NY?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2009, 09:50 AM

Never been a hugh retouching company in London?! Sorry there has been quite a few in the past. I worked with 14 other retouchers in one company.

Last edited by ftp-Jeff; 06-22-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
Never been a hugh retouching company in London?! Sorry there has been quite a few in the past. I worked with 14 other retouchers in one company.
Which one?

Is 14 staff huge?

Earlier in post, I was referring to Box having 40 full time staff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 AM

If that is Mr Main it must have been Tapestry. Hi Jeff how are you. Love one of the 14....lol. When we have got busy here we have had 11 retouchers in. Thats not bad for this day and age. Huge doesn't mean quality though does it. Depends how many are any good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 AM

Mr Main? Who he?

Ahh Tapestry....... They started the bloody price war in this trade. And Hoodie admitted that! And he apologized! Bit late by then!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2009, 07:15 AM

Not the same Jeff then. They always charged £400 per hour when I was there. Oh the good old days! You would never get that now. Thats down to the Mac, not price wars as soon as the G3 came out that was the death of the hi end systems like Pain Box and Barco etc.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs