RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

the climate of the economy

Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 AM

Re: the climate of the economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aartist View Post
Well, they won't but they certainly could. Congress has the constitutional right to create LAWS to regulate commerce. Problem is Big Business isn't interested in protecting domestic jobs and Congress does what Big Business wants, normally. It's too lucrative to go elsewhere. Mike, there are lots of historical examples of protecting the domestic economy over the past couple centuries. It's just hard to find any present day examples because it's politically incorrect to even use the word "protectionist" today.
Lets look at parts of this. Big business is in the business of making a profit. Their stockholders demand it. If you have some kind of retirement account or whatever, that is invested into the stock market, then you are part of that problem. When the people are ready to see their returns on their investments go down because they want to save jobs, the problem will be solved.

Another viewpoint is the question of "is your job worth saving?" Not all jobs are created equal, so some of them may not be worth the time and trouble to save. Of course that leaves the worker holding the bag, but one does have the opportunity to either work at making the job more worthwhile, changing to a different line of work or perhaps moving to where the job moved too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
or perhaps moving to where the job moved too.
Yeap... There are many people from USA/Europe in Argentina working freelance. They come here because the cost of life is cheaper while they still working for USA/Europe. In fact, the most closest case was my english teacher from Manchester. One day she told me: "I'm not teaching anymore because I'm teaching on-line to people from Asia". Of course, high wealth asians. So I lost my teacher!

So there are 2 problems here: Unnemploymeent in first world countries and workers who don't work for the country where they're living.

I do the same, just work for the green bill, otherwhise, the argentinean average income is not enough for paying neither a candy. And now taxes are 3 times more expensive here, but for foreigns is still cheap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Another viewpoint is the question of "is your job worth saving?" Not all jobs are created equal, so some of them may not be worth the time and trouble to save. Of course that leaves the worker holding the bag, but one does have the opportunity to either work at making the job more worthwhile, changing to a different line of work or perhaps moving to where the job moved too.
I guess, the problem is solved if you just shrug it off and move on.

The problem is, it starts with a few jobs such as cheap migrant farm workers, then moves up a notch, to immigrant workers for meat packing plants. Now the foot is in the door for cheap labor and business has a taste in their mouth for it and the extra profit it provides. The manufacturing jobs are next, only wait, they get exported out of the country to make it easier to accept by working Americans, who think those jobs are important. What domestic workers don't see can't hurt them, right. Now, white collar jobs are next because, no manufacturing, no managers or engineers are needed and lets not forget all the supply companies and all they employ - not needed. Where does it end? Depends on where the Corporations want to draw the line.

Office workers, no longer needed, outsourced. Customer relations people, no longer needed, outsourced. Designers, no longer needed, outsourced.

Most jobs that haven't been affected can very well be next, and soon. Why pay teachers a livable American wage when there are hundreds of thousands of very intelligent Indians willing to come over and work for less. Nurses have a relatively good wage in this country and I suspect there are thousands of Chinese who would work for less. Where do you draw the line?

I think the line will be drawn, so that our Politicians and their support staff will not be outsourced or replaced anytime soon by smarter people outside the U.S.A. who would do the same work for lots less. Also the CEO's will probably be on the safe side of the line, even though I'm sure smart people from India or China would be willing to work for quite a bit less and do a better job, all the while increasing corporation's profits.

Profit is important, but not important enough to throw the baby out with the bath water. We have been throwing a lot of babies out while chasing higher profits. All the while our Government is bailing everyone out with hundreds of billions of dollars that don't even exist except as huge piles of more debt. OK, Mike, please don't quote me anymore - someone else's turn.

Last edited by aartist; 07-21-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 PM

CEO's are also outsourced. I just see lot of indians doing the CEO stuff but a lot. Go here: getafreelancer.com, get an account there and let the website send the offers to your e-mail and that's all, a vision of global economy is in your e-mail every day.

There were few cases where they were hiring even photographers to do studio shots. They also send the clothes, everything that can be outsourced it will be.

Quite weird about photographers being outsourced, but just with a bit of evil imagination can be easily done.

I personally think outsourcing gives the oportunitties to third world countries to develope the economy but of course, the individual economy. For example, thanks to the few clients I have from the U.S. and U.K. I was able to buy a MacPro, a Nikon D700 and few Nikkor lenses of the highest quality, same hardware used by people from first world that I thought I would never be able to buy. Now I'm able to retouch even pics of 59 mp and even bigger. I'm able to have time to spare in studies too in order to become more professional as the time pass by. However, argentinean rates are not so low like the ones from India, they really drown the business. It's like 1:1000 for India and 1:30 for argentina (1 is the U.S./Europe).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 PM

Thanks Quantum3Studio for giving us your perspective from Argentina. I've enjoyed reading your posts. Shows, we are all being affected by the global economy.

Last edited by aartist; 07-21-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 AM

Well if its a "global economy" then I would think that everyone is going to be affected, unless you live on another globe.....

After WW2, it was Japan that became the source for cheap workers who took over a lot of the worlds production. Then as their wages started raising the work migrated to Taiwan then into China.

Then as the wages there started to raise, the work started migrating to Vietnam and now into India. When their wages start to raise the work will go to? My guess would be into Africa, since its about the only place left that has not had a chance yet and has the lowest standard of living.

I think that when everyone has had their chance at bat, then the standard of living should be a bit more equal, then we will not have near the problems we do know. Its getting to that point that is causing us some grief and of course if things are going to be more equal, that means that some of the higher folks might just lose a bit.

Nobody (myself included) likes to lose, but there seems to be serious questions about weather or not our standard of living is really sustainable in todays world. Guess we will see!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 11:52 AM

Exactly, Mike. I also think that the big money from first worlds is currently being spreaded more equally because outsourcing, that's why I think it will become some kind of comunist economy at the end, managed by just few big enterprises because that's happens right now. Cheap workers will keep that way, even if they are able to buy things never thought possible with the national economy, the enterprises which outsource will be also more powerful and bigger. Then I think the war amon enterprises will increase its size in relation with the size of the enterprises. I mean, the bigger the enterprises, the bigger the war, the more standarized the income and the more cheaper.
As result I think just few big corporations will remain dominating big amount of workers, why not entery countries? Nowadays happens something similar, but not so dramatic.
I think it will be like a big call center with automated and puppetted people, just liike now, but more dramatic.

It's like poverty will be standarized, I think.

Last edited by Quantum3Studio; 07-23-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs