RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Finished my first job.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Finished my first job.

Yep.

And i have no idea how much im getting paid.

Anywhere between $250-$1000+

lol

WHAT? you did a job and dont know how much yer getting paid??? and you wont get paid untill APRIL of 2010?? are you INSANE?

heh

pertty much. Long story short I had a friend who's taekwando instructor was hosting an International Instructors Course in Denver. His instructor needed a poster for the event, but diddnt have much money. My friend introduced me to him, he outllined what he wanted, i made sure he understood im not a professional.

At the end of May I had a photoshoot with my friend Jeff, 5th degree blackbelt, badass.. He wasnt feeling so hot, i diddnt get all the pics i needed, so we planned to shoot again the next sunday. That next thursday i found out he died in his sleep. Confliction of medication he was prescribed. It was a staggerring loss to our friends and family, he was very close.

His instuctor wanted me to continue with the poster and make sure jeff was the center piece if i was willing to finish the job.

So i finished the project. Never underestimate how hard it is to get three 8th degree and a 7th degree taekwando masters to agree on anything. I mocked up three posters, in the end they wanted all three because they couldnt agree on any single one because they liked all 3 posters so much.

Im not sure on how i feel with the final results. I think since it became that much personal for me because it was a way to honor my friend my personal expectations flew through the roof. I dont know how happy i am with the end work, i do believe it is far nicer than any other ITF instructors course poster ive seen osted on the sites. ... i may revisit them in a few years when i learn more.

anyways, im rambling,... i had absolutly NO CLUE how much to charge them. So i decided on the price for a new SB-600 flash for my setup, which was about $200 bucks. (these guys cant afford much at all for a poster, thats why most of the ITF posters look like they were done buy MS Paint, because a lot of them probably were)

The payment will be in april, garaunteed $250. The way they are paying is through the raffle. The entire proceeds of this raffle will be my payment, minus the price of a couple of the items being raffled off. One of the three posters will be signed by the masters, framed, and raffled off, the other two will also be signed framed and given to jeffs parents.

from what i understand it is not unusual for the raffles to pull in 1000-3000

just so i know what the hell im doing, next time somone asks me to do something like this, if i cant figure out 30 waysd to say no in 15 seconds and actually do it, what would something like that go for?

3 posters, one 3 hour photoshoot, about 8-10 hours of graphics work, with client recieveing full rights to print/distribute as much as they would like, but not the right to sell the posters.

hey this got long.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 AM

Re: Finished my first job.

Well... If your client wants a professional job he should look for a professional and pay for that. If your client hasn't enough money to pay a professional, so he can pay somone else. Charge as much as you worth. That's all.

Doesn't matter how much work you have to do, or what they will do with your work. If you know you're not a professional, so you cannot behave like one. Forget getting paid like you were a professional (i.e. forget copywriting). As time pass by, you will become more and more good at your work, then you will have more and more clients too, that way your time will have a price and as much as you get much better and get more clients, your time will be more and more limited, ths, raising its price. Actually, your time price is quite low.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 PM

lol...

that did not answer my question, however it did put things into perspective so now i know why my question does not have an answer.

good answer man!

thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2009, 01:20 PM

Thumbs up Re: Finished my first job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack The Ripper View Post
lol...

that did not answer my question, however it did put things into perspective so now i know why my question does not have an answer.

good answer man!

thanks!
There is no answer more than experience. Believe me. The answer is like a puzzle. Each job is a piece of that puzzle, and after you accomplish many jobs you will have the answer. For example, I started charging $30 per photo in a photo session with just a couple of 500 watts lamps and a Canon 400D and I used to give all the pics to the client. Reading about how other people work and my own experience I learnt enough to charge the double. Same with paintings, I use to shot paitings too. The first times I charged $5/pic, now I charge $15/pic.

A good way to analyze how much to charge (which is the million question) is analyzing all what you have to do to accomplish the job but remember, you're just in the first step, charge equally to that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2009, 01:43 PM

......... I would not let anyone see your handle on this site -- as you probably wouldn't get any clients even if you paid them... Some would be apprehensive, especially at an 'on-location setting' .. Just a thought..! ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydM View Post
......... I would not let anyone see your handle on this site -- as you probably wouldn't get any clients even if you paid them... Some would be apprehensive, especially at an 'on-location setting' .. Just a thought..! ...
Damn... i was hoping to put together a photography book of hookers.

lol
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs