RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How do you charge?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM

Re: How do you charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I think that one has to be very careful trying to do business like that. Trying to change your prices to match the budget of the customer can get you into a bad place if two or more of your customers ever get together and compare notes. I much prefer to give a bid for a job, then negotiate with the customer if we are over their budget, take something out or whatever, but somethings never change.

Think of restaurants. They come in all price ranges and the amount of service etc you get at each. If you cannot afford one, then pick one that has a bit less service and go there. Your customers will do that in your line of work just like they and you do that with restaurants.
I understand you'd want to do it that way, but i dont feel there is anything wrong with tailoring your rate to a project. in fact I tell my clients up front that rates vary by project, and they never have any problems with it. as long as it's within reason of course, and if they are a smaller client that cant afford my normal rates we figure out another way to make it worth my while, like paying all up front or some kind of exchange or whatever... I don't think the clients will compare notes but if they do by all means I have nothing to hide from them.

A lot of people have different rates for editorial vs advertising for example. Editorial will always pay less but it usually makes great portfolio material and potentially more exposure.

anyway for someone that's getting started like Jack i don't think it would make sense to be firm at really high rate. As he gets more and more work he can be more selective about what kind of job he takes on and how much he gets paid for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 11:05 AM

Mike:

"Think of restaurants. They come in all price ranges and the amount of service etc you get at each. If you cannot afford one, then pick one that has a bit less service and go there. Your customers will do that in your line of work just like they and you do that with restaurants".

Janko:

"anyway for someone that's getting started like Jack i don't think it would make sense to be firm at really high rate. As he gets more and more work he can be more selective about what kind of job he takes on and how much he gets paid for it".

These 2 paragraph are quite useful and worth to think about it.

Questions of someones could be answers for somebody else.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2009, 02:24 PM

I am new to all of this retouching stuff, and thank all of you for this invaluable
information, cause I am newbie and I just trying to figure out where point the gun. Thanks again for this discussion
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 12:58 PM

Hey Jack
I'm curious to know what your client agreed upon?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 03:55 PM

we never really agreed on anything. The client is the father of a close friend of mine who died back in june. So far ive already recieved $500, looks like there is another $500 on the way, so pretty much $1,000 for 4 posters.

I have 3 of them made. The last one i am severely lacking material for, so tomorrow we are going to discuss what to do. I have a friend who is a freelance photog, not professional, but he does take jobs for money. I think im gonna try to get him hired for a photoshoot of a current job-site to bolster the material i have so i can complete the project and finish the last poster, and i may even throw one more in. The client already spoke with him 2-3 weeks ago and had mentioned hiring him to do that, so...

i could do the shoot myself, i have everything i would need, except a reliable babysitter. lol.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 05:34 AM

good thread........I like it here already
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2010, 04:46 PM

What are the retouching rates in Boston? How about Mag Covers with a blonde hair silo over a PMS Spot colored logo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 PM

not sure i can give you much on that.

update on this

total pay out was 1,000 for 3 posters. This ran me about 5 hours per poster, in all about $65.00 an hour.

Im happy, the client is very satisfied, good times for all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Boston area varies about as much as web does.I know a guy that does this type of stuff for 5 cents on the dollar then another that does it double the highest bid.......it's crazy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks for reply but, that does not help me know what a base rate should be in Boston,
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs