Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How do you charge?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Re: How do you charge?

Originally Posted by ImBET View Post
Thanks for reply but, that does not help me know what a base rate should be in Boston,
I am sure that we all have an idea of what a "base rate" SHOULD be. However with the number of people doing this type of work and all of them in competition with each other, I would venture to say there is no such thing as a "base rate".

So your question has no answer because there is no such thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Each designer has to be aware of his/her abilities and charge accordingly I know a lot that allow the customer to quote a price and go from there. If your looking to post an hourly rate you need to weight your talents and put a window that is very flexible so as to not lose money over time issues.
As Mike said there are a lot doing this.To quote a firm rate is probably shooting yourself in the foot nowadays(especially online quotes) there are a lot of online rate tables that you can search out on web........but I bet most are very outdated
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM

I think you can go quite right with the numbers.
A possible general formula could be:

(A) non-reimbursable expenses + (B) desired salary (stay reasonable here ) = your total annual cost / number of billable days = cost of doing business.

(A) could be: rent, computer, telephone, internet, insurance, equipment purchases, office supplies, repairs, utilities, server hosting and so on;
Do not count in here the expenses you bill to the client for a specific project.

So add to the cost of doing business your (C) creative fee and you are near the end.

Your fee then could be varied by: tight deadline, specific style, creative solution needed, expectation of high end service, experience, geographic location etc.

You can find what I'm talking about covered in details here:, it's for photography business but you can easily twist it in retouching (excluding some parts and adding others).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs