RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Retouching as a career

Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Retouching as a career

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, and I hope I don't bore you with a question that's probably repetitive. I took a Photoshop retouching class and a graphic design course recently. I really enjoyed retouching and was wondering how likely is it to make a career from doing it? I imagine it's very competitive and was wondering how tough it is to find work. I'm currently living in Ireland but I'm a US citizen, and I'm planning on returning there. I was also wondering if Photoshop elements was okay to start with as it's more affordable than Photshop. I was wondering if I would need to pursue a wider diploma in graphic design to ensure more possabilities would be available. I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Regards,

Julie Kelly
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2009, 05:24 AM

Re: Retouching as a career

I think you should get a wider technique and portfolio, considering you're just starting, get lot of practice instead a wider diploma, that's what I mean. At the end, it's your portfolio which makes the jaque mate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
I think you should get a wider technique and portfolio, considering you're just starting, get lot of practice instead a wider diploma, that's what I mean. At the end, it's your portfolio which makes the jaque mate.
+1
Work on your portfolio, practice a lot.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 AM

I agree with Quantum3 & Godmother!
Diploma is not so crucial in this business, portfolio and experience is!
But that is worthless unless others know it, so I would suggest that you learn marketing as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 07:09 AM

HAha... Marketing... That's something I must learn. In fact, marketing is the corner stone of this capitalized world. With a very good sense of marketing even an stone can be sold!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 04:41 PM

Portfolio matters a lot but you can also get retouching jobs if you have the right connections or if the right people recommend you. So don't worry, even if you start with a blank portfolio, chances are you will get to that in no time if you do everything else right.

Good luck if you choose to follow this career
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2009, 02:50 PM

About Photoshop Elements. . . YES YOU CAN!!! Most of the restorations, retouches and enhancements that I have ever done and continue to do were and are being done with PE. It takes a bit more artistic skill, but I prefer the challenge and the smaller program memory requirement. You can check out some of my work at
http://www.dazzleimaging.net

Rhonda
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-15-2009, 07:22 PM

i too agree, build your portfolio and get as much experience as you can! i graduated last year at University of Houston, with a bachelor's in photography and digital media, and it hardly did anything.
on the other hand, i did get hired at the retouching company that i am currently working at now, and it pays not to bad.
the program i was enrolled in in school was more fine arts related, so much of my experience with photoshop came "on the job", and that is the best kind, along with internships, practice and workshops.
i too will be building my portfolio but im am also trying to advance out of retouching and become a digital photography/graphics teacher, for the public school system here in houston.
surprisely, they do offer a program that we, as digital artists/retouchers/designers can teach, as long as it fits their guidelines.
anywho, just build, and practice!
also, i would recommmend getting at least photoshop cs3, and a wacom tablet!!!!
just my 2 cents!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 AM

Practice, Portfolio, Promotion, Persistence and Patience.
Getting work relies on the last three but you have to have the first two.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2009, 08:55 PM

And, get a website that screams professionalism and excellent service. But, just because you have website, if you get one, don't expect the customers to come racing through your doors without without heavily promoting it and search engine optimization (SEO) as a result. It just won't happen. Take it from experience!

Rhonda
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs