RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

They're trying to kill us

Old 12-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Re: They're trying to kill us

I think it's interesting how retouching gets blamed for people's obsession with beauty. It seems to me that retouching is more just a symptom of that obsession than a cause. I think that retouchers tend to reflect the tastes of a society rather than define them.

The obsession with youth and beauty has been around forever (even if the ideals for beauty have changed from time to time). Despite the avalanche of heavily retouched and slimmed down images giving people an unrealistically thin and beautiful image to live up to, developed countries are putting on the pounds (kilograms, too) and are growing by leaps and bounds.

Perhaps all models should be required to be average height, average weight, average looks, average personality, and average intelligence -- and while you're at it all clothing and accessories to be of average quality and price -- and photos should be taken by average photographers in average lighting situations -- so it's a completely level playing field. Because we wouldn't want anyone to feel bad for not looking like a fashion model or because they can't live up to any kind of unrealistic expectations.

As if magazines weren't in enough trouble.

But then some people will still be upset that the average looking models set too strict a standard and we need to make sure that all those that are smaller and larger are also made to feel completely comfortable with themselves.

People also shouldn't trade in perfectly good cars for newer and shinier ones. Or abandon their loving wives for younger women.

But go ahead and blame it all on the retouching. To be sure, we are the cause of society's ills.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 02:23 PM

I always amused how people are trying to resolve serious problems in easy way. I don't believe in miracles. The problem of anorexia and obesity exists. But putting labels on retouched photo it's not going to help.
First teenagers go and eat junk food for a year or so and when they put on weight up to 60-70 kg they go for a crazy diet! And they don't even need to look into fashion mags to find their ideal weight. It's enough just to look at some "popular girl in the school who is skinny".
My cousin went to a crazy diet when she was 16 because her first ever boyfriend said she was fat! She was 43 kg. And she was buying tons of magazines but they never encouraged her to do it.
This problem needs to be resolved by implementing awareness programs in schools, educate teenagers what is real "healthy way of life", and to prevent them to put on weight. It costs more of course. It's much easier to force magazines to put "retouched" on the photo than to take some real actions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 04:40 PM

Aren't eating disorders caused more by, I don't know, someone's dad diddling them when they were five moreso than a magazine cover?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Maybe they should just make a law against bad photoshop... it would take care of that Ralph Lauren ad!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 PM

Nobody ever mentions the parents role in this. Good parenting will prevent a good deal of these problems. But you have to start early and keep it up.

It is so much easier to blame someone else for your failures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Oh please, don't be naive. Parents don't have anywhere near the influence on young people that advertising does. And retouching is surely at the root of all evil (or very close to it). And where would parents find time for parenting with all the pressures in their lives. Let's put the responsibility where it rightly belongs -- on the media. And more specifically on the retouchers. Finally lawmakers are beginning to clue in on just how influential retouchers are in today's world.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2009, 10:20 AM

That's right- we bad. I'm thinking of starting a gang. The logo's going to be way cool, but we need a righteous name.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2009, 05:19 PM

I hate to give up this name...but I don't guess I'll ever really get to use it. I work out of the East Village (NY) and the abbreviation for that is E.Vil I wanted to name my company E.Vil Retouchers.

Would be SO fun answering the phone

Carrie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2009, 05:57 PM

I was thinking The Clones, but that sounds too much like The Clowns, which probably doesn't cut it as a tough sounding gang name. E.Vil Retouchers it is!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM

clever carrie.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs