RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Freelance rate for creative retoucher in london?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 AM

Re: Freelance rate for creative retoucher in londo

What the agencies are doing isn't any way shape or form illegal. It's how businesses in any field function. If they have no work coming in then they have no income coming in. Without income they can't afford to pay their employees, afford to cover their bills or turn a profit so of course they have to let employees go when there is a slow flow of work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 PM

Thanks for your reply's i've been offered a 4 month contract in a top London studio for £150per day, am i getting ripped off? I question it due to it being £100 per day less than i get as a cg artist. I thought creative retouching was better paid than cg artist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 AM

Getting a solid 150 per day is fine, it's better than maybe getting one or two jobs a week @ 300 pd no?

Me, i've been freelance in London since i was 20, though links, connections, and a few nice ad agencies, i've kept perfectly busy every year since, even in this economic climate. FYI my current day rate is £500 per day, but i'm recognised among my clients as able to carry out good quality work quicker than their in-house guys.. I often get calls when times are tight... or when a project is simply beyond their ability....

----------

www.jeanmichel.co.uk
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 06:46 AM

hi

i dont think you are being ripped off. its quite a standard rate and if they have given you a 4month contract its not too bad. the rates discussed above where more targeted at advertising anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 07:14 AM

Hi pierre_1610, I would say if you are as experienced as you say you are then you are being ripped off. Paying an experienced digital artist anything less than £280 (£35hr for an eight hour day, but probably more) a day is insulting. But saying that it depends on who their clients are and if it is only editorial work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 12:14 PM

I think the guys make some good points.

I think for a solid four month contract £150 per day sounds very reasonable. If it were for two weeks or so, then maybe not considering your skill set. Thats part of the gamble of freelancing. You are very unlikely to be working the whole year round, so you price yourself accordingly. Lowering your daily rate for a longer contract, makes perfect business sense, for both parties.

I can see it from mac monkeys point of view as well however, maybe try to push them for another £20 per day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 02:15 PM

Hi Stealth, my reasoning is behind the idea that a freelancer should always have a higher hourly rate than a permanent person. In London for a permanent position the average salary for a mid to high end retoucher ranges between £40k - £50k, which works out more than £150 a day. For an average eight hour day that would only work out about £19hr, and you can guarantee you will be expected to work a little overtime most nights of the week, which is unfortunately the nature of the job thus lessoning your hourly rate even more. When ever I used to freelance I would never except anything under a £300 day rate. That way if there were a few late nights I knew I wouldn't feel bitter about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 02:56 PM

Hi mac monkey.

Good point! I have to admit I did not factor in the numbers to get the hourly rates.

I still think that a for a four month contract you should accept a bit of a lowering. I must admit, im curious to know who would offer such a long term freelance contract in the first place? I would have thought said company would have tried to do some restructuring from within, or rotated from a pool of freelancers like most places.

I agree about the extra hours, you cant just put your pen down at 5 or 6 every night, time after time, and expected to be invited back. If I stay past 10:30pm I always demand Beer and Pizza though!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 06:11 PM

The way I see it is this.
No matter how skilled and experienced you are, if you are unemployed and you can't get a permanent position, then you have little bargaining power. OK, so the guys offering £150 a day may well be taking advantage of you, but why not see this as an opportunity to 'get your foot in the door'. Take the four months work at £150 pd. at 5 days a week this equates to £12,000. This will pay the bills while you are looking around for additional work. You are also 'Inside' which is worth a fortune, as you working in the industry and mixing with colleagues and potential contacts, you are networking. Compared to being on the 'Outside' and sitting at home wondering what it would be like to be working in a studio and getting paid!!
If you are as good as you claim, then you have the ideal opportunity to make yourself invaluable to the studio, so when the 4 months is up, they ask you to stay on, it's then you can re-negotiate your contract.

In the famous words of Ronald Reagan "It's better to be inside the tent pissing out, than outside trying to piss in".
Excuse the bad language, blame Ron!

Regards

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2009, 07:26 AM

If I would need 150 pounds per day for living, I would think that government is scamming me.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs