Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Graduating NYU - what now?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Red face Graduating NYU - what now?

I'm a senior at New York University and I'm studying fashion/beauty photography, media studies, retouching and French. I currently intern with two photographers Wendy Hope ( and Michael Halsband ( in New York.

I graduate in May and I have no idea how to find a job that pays! I'd prefer to stay in New York or go to Europe. My main goal is to be an independent photographer but until I can find representation/clients, I'm open to fields that don't put a camera directly in my hands. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My website is if you'd like to see my work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Re: Graduating NYU - what now?

hey chloe,
stay in nyc, i wish i had done the same when i graduated. you will most likely not be employed as a photographer for your first few years out of school, that is a sad fact of the industry. my mentor, an international fashion photographer, told me when i first began working for him, "if you really want to do this, be prepared to fetch a lot of coffee and live out of a suitcase for the first 10 years of your career."

my suggestion is to get a paid job as an assistant, either to a photographer or at one of the photo studios in town. craigslist is a good resource for a lot of these jobs. you may even want to consider working for an agency that reps photographers, which could put you in contact with shooter that you want to work with.

while you work to pay your bills and gain experience, find young designers, musicians, and models that you can shoot. you may make a little money or you may make none at all, but the important thing is that your portfolio is constantly growing and expanding. you may have to take another job too. When I first graduated I was working full time as a paid photographer's assistant and nights at a coffee house. frankly, i loved it! there are no freebies in this business and you have to pay your dues before you can make a name for yourself.

good lucK!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Re: Graduating NYU - what now?

So important is getting all that for just taking pics? I mean, if you like it, just go ahead! There are lot of people shooting and earning money doing shit, so don't be so shy or perfeccionist. Step on and see what happens. I do some photographs and receive money for that. I'm not a super professional photographer but my clients aren't agencies or exigents so it's all at the same level of exigency and knowledge. As far as I get more experience and knowledge, I get more exigent clients too.

You will not work for important people if you don't just start, and we all start from zero.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs