RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Why hiring a Freelancer instead a Company?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 PM

Re: Why hiring a Freelancer instead a Company?

Yes, good thing in that blog, thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 01:11 AM

Re: Why hiring a Freelancer instead a Company?

Hey Mart...

You would pay a freelancer to do the work because you need the work done.

The idea is to pay for only the work you need done and to work with someone who does the kind of quality work you need. Typically you would pay a color house with a good reputation a lot more to have a project done than you would pay a freelancer.

But then they have the sales reps and the proofing systems and the ability to turn big jobs around quickly. They typically pay their people fairly poorly but there's often a lot of down time and the people working there are looking for an opportunity to make connections and find a place where they'll be better appreciated and rewarded. Then they become freelancers.

At the budget end, there are always going to be big shops that do work for less (or a lot less), but the quality is often lacking. All retouching is not the same. In that case, it makes more sense to pay more for a freelancer because you're dealing with a real person rather than a group of people farming out your work in a factory where their online examples look great but their overall work quality is spotty at best. Who is doing my work this week? And why don't they remember what I said about the backgrounds needing to be cleaned up on my images? Or how I like my skin tones?

The personal relationship (and growing understanding of the client's needs), service and quality are more important than price. It doesn't matter if it's cheap if the quality isn't there.

If you work with a freelancer and he doesn't do a good job, you can get a new freelancer. When you hire a freelancer, you actually know who you're working with. You can look at their online portfolio and see if they are up to the task. And after a few images you can tell whether they can actually do the kind of work you need (or whether they were using other people's work in their portfolio or images that they spent a lot of time working on but that they can't produce on a real-world schedule.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-10-2009, 02:13 AM

Talking Re: Why hiring a Freelancer instead a Company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle-light View Post
Hey Mart...

You would pay a freelancer to do the work because you need the work done.

The idea is to pay for only the work you need done and to work with someone who does the kind of quality work you need. Typically you would pay a color house with a good reputation a lot more to have a project done than you would pay a freelancer.

But then they have the sales reps and the proofing systems and the ability to turn big jobs around quickly. They typically pay their people fairly poorly but there's often a lot of down time and the people working there are looking for an opportunity to make connections and find a place where they'll be better appreciated and rewarded. Then they become freelancers.

At the budget end, there are always going to be big shops that do work for less (or a lot less), but the quality is often lacking. All retouching is not the same. In that case, it makes more sense to pay more for a freelancer because you're dealing with a real person rather than a group of people farming out your work in a factory where their online examples look great but their overall work quality is spotty at best. Who is doing my work this week? And why don't they remember what I said about the backgrounds needing to be cleaned up on my images? Or how I like my skin tones?

The personal relationship (and growing understanding of the client's needs), service and quality are more important than price. It doesn't matter if it's cheap if the quality isn't there.

If you work with a freelancer and he doesn't do a good job, you can get a new freelancer. When you hire a freelancer, you actually know who you're working with. You can look at their online portfolio and see if they are up to the task. And after a few images you can tell whether they can actually do the kind of work you need (or whether they were using other people's work in their portfolio or images that they spent a lot of time working on but that they can't produce on a real-world schedule.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan
Wow, you're the wise man in every single topic. Don't want to throw away the effort of others, I'm always glad to receive any kind of tip but you put in every word lot of common sense, meaning that each word you say sounds like the tables of truth or something along those lines, haha. Definitelly, a hammer smashing brains and tongues with lighting bolts all around the place! Surely you have trascended your ego and that stuff long time ago, anyway, just letting you know that you speak the truth extremly accurately! Thanks a lot for your superbly superb answer, the answer of all Freelance answers!!!

Mart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs