Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Your bookkeeping/tax system

Old 12-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Your bookkeeping/tax system

Up until recently, my books and taxes were very simple: a folder for 1099 forms and 15 minutes with an online tax prep site once a year (I used That and my checkbook was the totality of my system. My expenses were less than the default deduction, I had no employees or dependents, life was simple (at least in this regard).

With the success of RetouchPRO LIVE things have gotten a little more complicated, but still not so bad. In spite giving it a bad review several years ago (still available somewhere on this site, but I'm not motivated to find it), I find myself back in the clutches of Quickbooks, solely due to a 3rd-party plugin for Paypal integration that is only available for QB.

But this got me wondering what the bookkeeping/taxprep systems are for everyone else here? Since a lot of us are in very similar boats, this could potentially end up being a very useful thread (for others, if not for us directly).

So, what is your bookkeeping/tax prep system? Do you use software, an outside firm, or prayer?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Re: Your bookkeeping/tax system

Oh God, I'm dreading this... I think I'm going to have to hire someone to do it for me this year. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Re: Your bookkeeping/tax system

Pull up a comfortable chair and let me tell you about what I did.

I started my business when I retired from the military. First couple of years no problem with taxes, was still building up a customer base etc. Then the business boomed and finical things started becoming serious. The third year I paid what I considered to be quite a bit of taxes and the forth year was outrageous (and more than I had in the bank!). In fact I did my taxes once, looked at the result, put it all back in the drawer, hauled it out again a month later, redid them and owed more the second time than the first!

So I bit the bullet and went out to find professional help. I hired a CPA who took pity on me....

She did that years taxes and I did not owe them $5K, they owed me about that much!!! Then she said who did your taxes last year? So she filed amended returns for all the years she could and I got a check for something like $10K.

She gave me forms to fill out and turn in to her. I did that faithfully all the time I had the business going. I trusted her completely and she never did me wrong.

Lots of us moan and complain about folks doing their own photography or retouching, why don't they hire a pro that knows what they are doing? The same applies to us doing our finances. Why don't we hire pros that know what they are doing?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs