RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Selling rights for images. Advice?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:34 PM

Selling rights for images. Advice?

Hey folks.

I finished a project for a construction company designing some posters for thier new training room which highlight challanging jobs they have done.

The owner who i have been dealing with is a friend of mine, he was very impressed with the posters and mentioned one of thier business partners has an Expo coming up soon at a large construction conference and they have expressed interest in the images.

He is aware that he purchased the right to print off the posters and use them for display in thier training room but does not retaain the rights to sell these himself. So far ive made 1,000 of these three posters.

Thier business partner is asking for a price for the rights to use the posters for advertizing.

How much would be an acceptable amount to charge for the rights on these? At this point uim not looking at an hourly wage.

This is the first time i found myself in this position, i dont know what is a reasonable amount, nor do I know what thier budget would be.

Should i go for another $1,000? More? Less?

At this point whatever i get is just a cherry on top. I have no issues with getting a big cherry though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Re: Selling rights for images. Advice?

Man, this has always been tough for me. On client got an eye twitch at $350, another called me and said my quote was too low at $3500.

I now do these face to face and talk about what other clients have paid, and then gauge his/her reaction from there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 PM

I guess ill just throw 1500 out to Bob and see if he thinks this company would go for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2009, 01:56 PM

I know some photographers I work with like to use fotoquote software package for this type of situation. Basically how it works is you enter in some details (size of the ad, national or regional, press run) that type of thing and it gives you industry standard pricing. Might be something you'd want to look into.

http://www.cradocfotosoftware.com/fo...Pro/index.html

edit:
Another thing i just remembered you can go to gettyimages.com and do a search for any RM (rights managed) image and to get the pricing you fill out some of the questions and it will give you a price.

I would try a couple of different images from different collections (stone, photonica, etc.) and average out the price.

Last edited by Janko; 12-22-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs