RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Fire proof safes?

View Poll Results: Do you use a fire safe for clients' originals?
Yes, a large one with a high heat rating 2 12.50%
Yes, but only a small personal one 5 31.25%
No, I hadn't even thought about it 6 37.50%
Other 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2002, 09:49 PM

Ed, the Sentry fire safes seem to range from small chests to 2 cu. ft. At least that's true for the ones Office Depot carries. Check this link for more info on the ones they sell.
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2002, 01:33 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Thanks Jeanie. I was a little surprised at part of the info on the site. "Damage to computer media can occur at temperatures as low as 125°F and 80% humidity." t sure doesn't take much.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 01:38 PM

Well, I just ordered a fire safe at Office Max. They just happened to be having a sale such that the 2 Cu Ft. Business safe (rated for 2 hours at 1700) was actually less than the 1.2 Cu. Ft. version. Luckily, OfficeMax will deliver it for free (it was over $50) because it weighs 200 pounds and it's going upstairs. Once it's in place, I don't think I'll be moving it around too much.

For those interested (and living near an Office Max), the 1-hour 1.2 Cu. Ft. home version is also on sale. Sale ends Saturday.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 02:42 PM

I'm not in business at this time. I would like to do retouching as a side gig someday. I'm looking at one of the larger gun safes. Since my daughter is getting more and more mobile and being from Texas, yes I do have guns in the house. I think a gun safe would work for dual purposes.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2002, 07:46 PM

A gun safe would be as close to ideal as one could get....not easy to pick up, pretty much airtight,fire resistant and using the "dehumidifier" packets would keep the RH at a good level. Plus allowing an ingenious type to sneak a new gun into the collection now and then without the Wife noticing.....Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2002, 10:09 PM

Hi All, long time no see.

I think if one is going to do this, even as a hobby of sorts, there is ( I believe) an obligation to protect the assets that are left in our care.

I totally agree thomas that fires are generally knocked out fairly quickly. Of course, since I'm now living 6 stories off the ground, I wonder what the survival would be like?

A gunsafe is an excellent idea, and I concur with the rest of the crew, it would be a good choice.

You can imagine, of course, the disappointment any gun theives might have if they broke into the bloody thing.

Sanda: AWESOME icon.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2002, 10:35 PM

Hey Rick, good to have you back!

I must say I'm very glad to have my fire safe! I feel so much better keeping my clients' images in the safe. The way the fires are "sprouting" in CO these days, it's just one less thing I have to worry about!

Now I just have to find a friend whom I can store a system backup with so that I have one "off-site".

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2002, 06:08 PM

Well, I recommdend that you use Norton's "Ghost" that way if something happens, you can recreate your configuration quickly.

another tip for backing things up: Save ALL your files in subfolders in a specific area like c:/photos and then go down from there c:/photos/clients/working
etc....that way, you can quickly just back up w/o worrying about saving all other Windows junk that float around your systems.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2002, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick
Well, I recommdend that you use Norton's "Ghost"
Does Ghost allow you to back up to multiple CDs? I can't remember - I seem to remember not, but I could be wrong. In any case, I've already used Backup MyPC to do a full system backup including "system state". Probably not a quick as Ghost, but it should get me everything back.

Quote:
another tip for backing things up: Save ALL your files in subfolders in a specific area like c:/photos
Yes, that I already do - it does make backups a LOT easier!

Thanks for the tips,
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs