RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Is it cool to contact models directly?

Old 03-12-2010, 01:26 AM

Is it cool to contact models directly?

is it considered unprofessional? if it's ok, what's the best way to reach out? i heard that you shouldn't be too complimentary.

thanks again; seems like a good place here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2010, 01:29 AM

Re: Is it cool to contact models directly?

oh, geez. i posted in the wrong forum. so sorry. maybe someone can move thread?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2010, 02:15 AM

Its not unprofessional if you ask the model if she/he wants to work on creating new images with you. Its good for their book as well.

Never ask her out for dinner. Asking them out for lunch to discuss concepts is fine, if not over the phone is fine as well.Being complimentary is fine, just don't go overboard.

Ask modeling agencies if they want their models to do test shots. If you are new, show your portfolio. Most of the time agencies want new shots for their models so they can get a stronger portfolio.

Don't buy gifts! They'll get the wrong idea. Don't be pushy. Don't let them push you. Work with them to achieve your image. Give them a semblance of how you want to achieve your image. Do this, do that, don't do that.

There's more but i don't want to come across preachy blah blah blah. Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2010, 02:56 AM

No, i could't agree with you.

The model is very useful in this busy world. Nowadays, most people are very busy and have no time in design their own favorites. But taking advantage of models, they can create masterpiece very easily and quickly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2010, 12:49 PM

thanks a lot, folks. appreciate the help.

wilde, you're not being pushy at all; i welcome the insight of a pro. i asked this coz a friend of mine reached out to models and was (what i thought) pretty over the top. making direct references to how gorgeous they were, their breast size, booty size, sexiness factor, etc. i thought it seemed unprofessional, but he said flattery was the way to get business. it seemed a little uncouth to me. he also did free retouching for them. to me, that felt like giving away one's talent.

i've always thought it best to be direct and professional, and steer clear of anything in the way of flirtations, flattery--whether genuine or not. sounds like this is the way to go, but i've seen some discussions on model forums and it seems the industry is different than a 'typical' workplace--that people throw out explicit language/ compliments that wouldn't fly elsewhere.

i'd feel funny doing that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 PM

Gave out retouching? It's part of the image production work flow. How do you produce a professional image without retouching? And, if they didn't get the retouching, what would you give them? Unfinished images that represent your work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 PM

Some people love being complimented. Depends on the situation. There are different ways to make people feel complimented, different strokes for different people. I guess do the thing that you're comfortable with. Its true what he says, flattery and sucking up does get you business.

I do find it weird as well, complimenting on boob size, sexiness, booty size, sounds like a come on. Some chicks dig it, some don't. Making friends with models is great, as you can keep them in your contacts and create images in the near future with them. But that's not the only way. Having an amazing portfolio will as well. In this industry, you get all sorts of people.

Generally, be respectful and it'll be quid pro quo. Unless they are pain in the ass and whiny, make it the last time you'll ever work with them. But make it an awesome job, then tell them 'No' when they ask you to work on other projects.

Slash has a point though. If models agree to do test shots with you, the image should be retouched. They are giving you their time, and it should be likewise.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs