RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Retouching real estate?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:07 PM

Retouching real estate?

While I was asking around about the best ways to try to make some side cash with restoring / retouching a friend of mine suggested retouching real estate agents' pictures of houses before they put them on their respected sites. anyone have any thoughts on this? I cant imagine it would be anything that would be misleading but maybe lighting, shrubbery removal satellite removal or whatever. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 04:39 PM

Re: Retouching real estate?

Would have to be expensive houses to justify the effort.. Most of the Realtor pics I've seen are point and shoot out the car window.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 06:47 PM

I can just imagine a realtor trying to explain just how the photo of the house without a big shrub relates to standing in front of the same house with the large shrub in the yard! Maybe just a really quick growing shrub?

You might want to investigate the "truth in advertising" concept.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Patron

I actually saw a job on Monster looking for just such a person. It was a full time in house job though, and realtors most definitely do use retouchers. Quite often what they want you to do is to change the time of day. i.e. they seem to like houses shot later afternoon close to twilight, so anyone who thinks that they don't retouch their images needs to think again. Sometimes it is not bushes or satellite dishes, it could be a garbage can that was in the way, or a dead plant that they planned on moving anyway. A million reasons why this would be, so don't be discouraged and go for it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 PM

I do a little real estate retouching on the side..green grass, blue sky, a touch of HDR, a pop of color... definitely makes for a better photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 PM

My fianceé and I recently moved into a new apartment and helped our former landlord rent out the new one by creating the listing for it, retouched pictures of the apartment and all. Everyone who came to see it commented on how great the pictures were in the ad. We got it rented in about two weeks.

I was mostly correcting angles, things that architectural photographers do in camera via tilt/shifts, etc. and balancing color. I think you absolutely could make some extra money on the side doing that. Probably not much, but it's not unheard of.

I knew a girl in Atlanta who worked on those free real estate magazines you can get at grocery stores. Not sure if it was through the realtor directly or something that their printer folks threw in. My guess is the latter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

Great, I wasnt sure if this was a market that even existed. I guess time to get those emails going out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 01:33 PM

Ugh, meant to say "renting out the OLD one."
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 PM

"Take out trees. Let house show."
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve13 View Post
Would have to be expensive houses to justify the effort.. Most of the Realtor pics I've seen are point and shoot out the car window.
"out the car window"... Haha... Nice expression!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs