Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How do you handle client approvals for restoration work?

Old 06-24-2002, 01:15 PM
How do you handle client approvals for restoration work?

I am requiring a client approval on the restoration work before I send for the photo prints. I am using an inexpensive inkjet print (Epson 900 on #20 bond paper) for the proof print which the client/customer initials or marks with changes. I am explaining that it is not a precise match print colorwise, and that the final photo print will be very close to the proof, but that this step is for them to see the cleaning, correction, photo editing they have hired me to do. I could see a time when this could be done digitally on my (theoretical) website.

I just can't imagine not having that approval step. Any thoughts? How do any of you handle this issue? Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 04:38 PM
I allow the customer to preview the finished job through my website when the customer is not local. When the customer is local I usually do a proof print on lightweight photo paper. When the customer gets the proof they are encouraged to mark any changes required on the photo or discuss changes with me. When they preview on line they e-mail me then changes required. I don't get many requests for changes either way though, I think that stems from making careful notes when the job is first quoted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 05:01 PM
Perhaps I'm being a bit arrogant, but I don't offer an approval step. No complaints, yet.

I guess it comes from my years as a copywriter. If I presented something as complete, they'd love it. If I presented the exact same thing as a draft for their comments, they'd pick it to pieces.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 06:21 PM
I have to agree with Doug, seeking approval can only lead to fraught times. For your own evaluation by all means proof it, but the customer doesnt need to know the process, just the end result. I presume all details such as particulair colours etc are discussed pre work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 08:03 PM
I also agree with Doug and Mike.
Another thought. If you've had an initial discussion of the work beforehand, presenting a proof for approval might appear that you are unsure of yourself/work.
Just my personal opinion, but I don't think most clients could visualize the final output from looking at an inkjet . Because inkjets are not of the same quality as the final print, I don't think it does justice to your work. It could even be bad for business.

One other thing, I have never had a customer ask me for a proof.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 08:40 PM
I don't do a proof per se for basically the same reasons Doug, Mike & Vikki cited. All of my restorations include an 8x10 RA4 print. I do have a 4x6 proof made for myself before ordering that 8x10 though, just so that I can make sure I'm satisfied with the work. But as for the client, they never see anything short of what I consider a finished product.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2002, 10:28 PM
I never proof a restore job. I don't do much of it(restoration) either. The only time I proof it(retouching). For certain people in the photography industry who request a proof (from the Heidelberg) before printing to either press or digital (Lambda) printing.
Even if I did proof a restore job(rgb). I print to the Lambda. So it's going to be different(to the trained eye) from inkjets.
I would not do a proof from an inexpensive inkjet for a customer, if it is going to be output to high end equipment. Its a different world...........High end printing.
Let them see it on screen. Instead of an inexpensive inkjet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2002, 08:12 PM
I also do a lot of photo restoration and I really agree with doug and almost everybody. Proofing creates problems, period.

Besides, photo restoration is also an art, which means sometimes you can't say the approach is not correct until you know what is really the objective.

I also had experience with proofing restoration jobs, believe me that is a big headache (labor, time, finances!)

Rey Mendoza
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2002, 08:43 AM
The Proofing Step In Restoration Work

Thanks Ray and all. You have convinced me. I am going to take all mentions of proofing out of my literature, and go at it on a case by case basis. I can see times when I want to make sure that what I am sending off to mthe photo lab is what the client needs, but I can see how it can open up a whole can of worms. Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2002, 05:36 PM
Talking proofing

I mainly provide a proof via email if the photo has been restored from a highly damaged state. Often there may be areas that you have to make a judgement on when there is no information to go on. This also helps the customer. Fore example recently I restored a photo that the crack when straight across the forehead and hairline. It seems the hairline is a bit higher than I made it and with the customers feedback I have been able to make an accurate adjustment to the photo.

I have not had any complaints so I must be doing the right thing.

A hint though, when taking an order for restoration have a worksheet that details as much as possible before quoting on the job and have the customer sign it if possible. It is a great help.

Katherine Quirke
Potential Time P/L
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs