Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Just getting started

Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Just getting started

Hi, this is my first post. I am in the process of planning a picture restoration and manipulation business. I'm nowhere near ready to launch or anything but I thought I'd say hi, give some background and ask for advice.

I'm not completely new to restoring old/damaged pictures (I do it for family members) but I have never done it professionally so I've got a lot to learn before I do. I'm currently looking for recommendation for software and general how to advice on getting started. Right now since I don't have paid experience my plan is to go and get legal (I'm thinking LLC for tax purposes) and then donate my services until I'm confident that I'm ready to launch.

For those of you who do this for a living, would you mind telling me about your experiences?

Thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Re: Just getting started

Hi! I'm not one of the well known pros here, I've only made a couple of posts in the time I've been a member here, but I am a professional restoration artist and will be glad to give you any advice I can.

As for software, I don't have a set one I would recommend. I personally use several different ones to accomplish various tasks. I'll probably hear a lot of flack over it but my main and favourite program is Paint Shop Pro...*ducking for cover* A lot of people consider it an amateur program but I know it well enough that I can pretty much do anything with it that most people can do with Photoshop. I do use Photoshop for certain tasks but as yet I haven't found just one program that does everything I need to do all the time. My best advise is to use whatever program you need to do the task you need to do to get the best result.

As for experience, I started the same way you did doing restorations for family and friends as well as doing volunteer work learning and gaining experience as I went along. I did have a tad of an advantage as I had done some retouching work by hand many many years ago and am also an artist so I was able to put those things to good use moving to digital. The biggest thing I can tell you as the nugget for success in this business...practice, never stop learning, love what you do, always do your work so you are always proud of the results, and most important of all be honest with yourself about where your skills are at any given moment...false praise is something that is my personal pet peeve because I always want to be realistic about my talents.

Good luck with your future endeavours!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs