Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Advice on finding outsourcing retouching companies

Old 10-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Re: Advice on finding outsourcing retouching compa

Once you have identified your weaknesses, work on them. Free work? No, don't do it. Instead of doing free work, work on your folio. People that want free work done, or work done for minimal pay are not the people to work with, they are cheap and second rate. If that is where you want to be, then fine, do it.

You have to identify what you want to do! And at what level you want to work!!

I am also an airbrush artist, I know what level of clients I am aiming at, Not the high end and not the low end... I aim myself right in the middle.

As for retouching, I aim at the top. That is where the money and job satisfaction is! But remember, I have been doing this since 1973. It takes a lot of time, effort and money.

I went digital in 1989, when a decent retouching system cost $350,000. That showed clients I was very serious. You have to show them you are very serious.

So, do not skimp on equipment, have the latest and the best. Do not work from home or an apartment, and be able to offer a full service. Else you will always be a "FRED IN A SHED" No serious client will want that. Remember, it is their job on the line when they trust you with their work!

It may sound tough, but this is a tough career choice. You may think I am talking out of my butt, that is up to you! But hey, I am still here, and I am still busy 37 years on. I think I am doing something right!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Re: Advice on finding outsourcing retouching compa

it doesn't sound tough, sounds real...But maybe this "lot of time" that it's supposed to take sounds like "need to get another job to feed the household while I build up the portfolio"...Dunno' hard to tell right now. I wanted some income while I'd become tougher, stronger, wiser...Maybe sounds too easy acting like that...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs