RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Client issues with payment

Old 11-06-2010, 09:24 PM

Re: Client issues with payment

Do you have small claims courts where you are?

Filing fees are usually just a few bucks and you and they cannot have a lawyer.

Might be worth a try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 02:14 AM

The client is mature enough to know about how is expending on something, assuming that your client does business often. If not, just let it pay you the remains in the next month.

Always be logical and calm with your client but be aware of the different states of the human being when in troubles (because your client is in troubles, not you, remember that). I cannot find a funny video about the different states of the human when having a problem but one of the states is rejecting the problem and the final state is accepting the problem. What I'm aiming to with this is that you have to be aware of human behavior in order to know all about the reaction of your client and how you can persuade him to pay you. Probably, your client had tried to throw its guilty on you, that's a usual resource used by people which is in fault, and you should know how to make your client aware that it's its fault, not yours, using a good language and a good reasoning. So you also have to know about logics besides some psychology.

Here you have a fallacies dictionary, which is super useful having one and study it: http://www.ozarkia.net/bill/anarchism/Fallacies.html

If the client still don't pay, just let it go. There are lot of clients around anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 12:20 PM

1/3 down payment at project acceptance.
1/3 due upon completion.
1/3 due upon customer acceptance.

Doing things this way, I know I will receive at least 1/3 of my money no matter what. When I finish the project and bill the next 1/3 I expect timely payment. Final work is not submitted until after I get the second 1/3. Upon finishing the work, I submit the final 1/3 billing. If the client has problems and won't or can't pay the remaining 1/3 then I still retain the digital properties.

Making this very clear in a written contract (AIGA is one source) makes things so much easier. I also bill by the project and not by the hour. If a potential client balks at this agreement, then I probably don't want to work with them anyway.

If you didn't make your terms clear, and didn't collect any money at all, then you are in a tight situation. I would never take a client to court unless it was for something really serious. Word will get out that you took legal action and that will do nothing positive for your business image. I would take this as a lesson learned. Negotiate with your client and get as much money as you can, then write the rest off. If you decide to continue working with this client in the future, make sure you establish your terms in advance, get it in writing, and do the client a favor by being more clear and concise in your billing practices.

Todd

Last edited by TEastman; 11-07-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to include my first name.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEastman View Post
I would never take a client to court unless it was for something really serious. Word will get out that you took legal action and that will do nothing positive for your business image.
Todd
I disagree. Business's take other business's to court all the time. It shows that you are serious about running your business and you expect to be paid for what you do in a business like manner.

Not going after fees owed could produce the image that you are a patsy and others could get you to provide services to them and they will not have to pay you either.

However I will note that if you are going to do the court thing, you had better have not only produced a great product, but you should have the paper work to back up your case.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2010, 12:08 AM

Cool Re: Client issues with payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I disagree. Business's take other business's to court all the time. It shows that you are serious about running your business and you expect to be paid for what you do in a business like manner.

Not going after fees owed could produce the image that you are a patsy and others could get you to provide services to them and they will not have to pay you either.

However I will note that if you are going to do the court thing, you had better have not only produced a great product, but you should have the paper work to back up your case.
That's why my opinion contained the modifier "something really serious." You don't take clients to court every time there is a disagreement. I never said nor implied that you must be a patsy to anyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 03:08 PM

She seems willing to pay in parts. I need to ask for a payment schedule so she actually sends the payments. So we'll see. At this point, I mean yeah it's a lot of money for me, but not enough to go to court over.

Does anyone have a resource for copies of contracts that are relevant for retouching jobs?

I'm actually about to post another thread with kind of a whole other question, but semi-related too.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs