Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Advice on starting out

Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Advice on starting out

Hello and thank you in advance for your advice.

I live in Toronto, Ontario, I've been learning/practicing photo retouching and restoration for about 3 years. I'm really interested in doing this as a career, but I'm really not sure where to start. I have some experience restoring photos for friends and family. I've also done some retouching for a photographer that i know, mostly just retouching photos for a mutual friend to give the photographer an idea of what outcome is desired. I really want to expand further and build a portfolio and of course experience.

Starting in the new year I will be taking a certification program for digital design, I feel that having a certificate can only help in my advancement in this field. What I'm really looking for though is some kind of starting path for a career in this industry, which I'm not to sure about going about. Either an internship or a assistant position would be amazing, but again I'm at a loss on how to go about it. I thought about e-mailing studios in my area and asking if they are in need of help and offering my services but I'm not sure that is the best course of action. So I am asking for your advice.

If you need any additional information please let me know.

Thank you again for your advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Re: Advice on starting out

here is a link with some good info on how to start planning for a retouching business --

In a nutshell the objectives are building up a strong portfolio and a good way to present it to potential clients, once you feel like you've got enough high level work, find your target market (photographers, art buyers, art directors, production mangers, etc.) and start marketing with mailers and email promos.

good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 AM

I wrote something about this not long ago, maybe you'll find it interesting.

Also keep an eye on sites like :

Good luck!

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 03:05 AM

That seems very sound advices :-) always very useful when you try to start on your own, I mean, with no post-school connections. That's where internet is a gem.
Thanks for that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Thank you Everyone for your helpful advice, it is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs