RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Now, just stop and think here.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 AM

Re: Now, just stop and think here.

yes I am with you and I do not say this very often

In my opinion the biggest companies (In London, NY ...) will give the work to the big studio which is able to deal with the amount of work they provide and they do not have any reason to change this as it could be very risky ... Or they spread they work between two or three studios. As a single retoucher you have to be very well established for several years to be working for them.

So you need to work for the middle sized companies but they are facing the crisis now and the other people just trying to rich the top level ...

So the question is: Do you need to work for a big retouching studio to get really
good job which will satisfy you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 10:46 AM

Yes, I think it doesn't hurt to work for a big retouching studio.

I actually did that for a while. It was amazing and I've learnt some amazing ways of retouching an image there, but being very honest the amount of time that I had to spent there was a bit too much for me.
It was basically monday - sunday from morning till very late at night.
I love retouching and I definitely have a lot of passion for it, but I also have friends and a private life.
I know that it's pretty much the same in most retouching studios and that you will have to give up your private life for many years until you have enough names on your client list to build up your own business, but even working all these days and hours i simply didn't have the money to hire a person to go shopping for me, cook me dinner at 0.30am, clean my bathroom and reply to my friends emails and phone calls.

I believe that hard work and especially good quality work is still worth something though, and even though it is hard sometimes I will keep on retouching, looking for new clients and do amazing work
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 AM

I expected something like that As I see we have similar way of living ...

I took a few times similar job so I exactly know what you talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 AM

Ah that's good to hear

I just had a look at retouching jobs and found this by the way:

http://www.freelancer.com/projects/F...etouching.html

Someone needs 1 million images retouched... have a look at the prices some people are offering underneath.

Last edited by Delicate_Media; 11-17-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 11:16 AM

The minimum salary rate in the UK is £5.00 per hour and we are traveling to India now ...

If you have a really big amount of pictures to work on and you will have a everyday job - it means you will be able to work 8 hours Monday to Friday and you will decide to spend 1 hour with 1 picture how much will you charge per picture?

The average salary for a retoucher in UK is about £28.000 per Year (last November it was £35.000).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 PM

I just accidentally came across this article:

http://www.macuser.co.uk/3250-the-gr...tition-swindle

By the way Benny, thanx for this post
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 03:57 PM

This photographer posts at least once if not more per month, the same exact ad, always unpaid. The most we can do is flag it as prohibited, because it is, it's an illegal internship and craigslist does not allow illegal internships to be advertised. And if anyon has the time I suppose they could actually contact the studio and let them know that they're a-holes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Perhaps this is the way how to face this global problem - to inform those companies offering this kind of cooperation that this is illegal and they suppose pay at least a minimal rate. But is it really illegal if you agree?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 04:44 PM

It's illegal to offer, and yeah, it's still illegal even if you agree. Do you think someone who is so desperate that they work for someone who will only pay them less than minimum wage should work for that amount just because they agreed to it? It's still illegal, they are being taken advantage of, the laws are there to protect people. Half the time the people who agree to these don't even know it's illegal, they just think it's something they have to do.

I have actually called out companies on doing just this and I contacted the companies they were listing through, NYFA for instance, that they were hosting an advertisement for a job that was offering less than minimum wage for a studio manager position. The ad specifically listed $10/hour for a studio manager position but for the first 3 months it would be half of that, $5 per hour. I told them that it was a complete insult to offer $10 per hour for a studio manager with all the skills and qualifications they wanted, although it is not illegal, however paying $5 per hour for any period of time is completely illegal. NYFA forced that company to at least offer a legal wage for the position from the start, or I'm sure they would have removed the listing. When I checked backed the listing stated legal wages for the entire time of the position. I worry about contacting companies because I'm afraid my name would get out there, but I finally got so fed up with it I decided I didn't care to work for people who thought it was perfectly fine to screw people over and not pay them what they deserve for the work they are doing and allows them to pay rent and buy food, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicate_Media View Post
Ah that's good to hear

I just had a look at retouching jobs and found this by the way:

http://www.freelancer.com/projects/F...etouching.html

Someone needs 1 million images retouched... have a look at the prices some people are offering underneath.
Now that's scary people would even bother to take the time to type a bid!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs