RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Now, just stop and think here.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Now, just stop and think here.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/med/2054779621.html

"With over 20 years in the world of photography, Andrea Blanch is a world renowned photographer. The scope of her work includes fashion, portrait, reportage & film. Andrea's work has appeared in Details, GQ, Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, and Rolling Stone, etc. Other clients include Revlon, Johnny Walker, Universal Films, Mitsubishi etc. Her work has been exhibited in the United States and abroad. "

OK, fine, Andrea, and, congrats. You've built a biz, and, I guess it's paying off. Along the way, I'm, of course, assuming you have shook a lot of hands and established a lot of professional arrangements with clients and vendors. But, waitaminute ....... you want someone to work for you FOR FREE who has this resume?:

"Applicant must have not only a passion for photography, be self-motivated, and reliable, but should also have a thorough knowledge of MACS and Microsoft Office Programs. Applicant must have in-depth experience with Adobe Photoshop CS4 - CS5 and digital printing. A knowledge of video & video editing, and/or graphic design is a plus."

And, (choke, choke, gag), you want the same unpaid person to do this?:

"Applicant will be responsible for all aspects of Andrea's photography, including gallery shows, portfolio assembly, Web site & social media maintenance, image archive, and office work. Responsibilities will also include retouching, editing & creating images using Adobe Photoshop, coordinating and producing film shoots & printing high quality images from the computer."

Honey, you're in NYC. Look around. Prostitution is expensive. It's not free.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 11-14-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 AM

Re: Now, just stop and think here.

"Intern must be able to work 15-20 hours a week for 3 months"

For all this work ???

Is she looking for a naive Superman ???
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 AM

Unfortunately!!!
These type of adds are more and more frequent,not only on Craigs list and not only in New York,but everywhere
So I assume
1)theres a lot of unemployed people in the industry
2)there are a lot of people willing to work for little or no money
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2010, 03:48 AM

I am afraid we will pay for a possibility to work in the future ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2010, 04:20 AM

Look on facebook theres a whole culture photographers,models,retouchers etc..,working for free or TFP,TFD
I have asked on here How many people actually make a living from retouching?
NOT HOW MUCH YOU MAKE! just IF your making a living
I Got a lukewarm response SO what does that say?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
Look on facebook theres a whole culture photographers,models,retouchers etc..,working for free or TFP,TFD
I have asked on here How many people actually make a living from retouching?
NOT HOW MUCH YOU MAKE! just IF your making a living
I Got a lukewarm response SO what does that say?

What do you mean? I know a lot of people who make a living out of retouching worldwide :/

This thread is not about that... I think this photographer will not get someone like THAT but it might get something close with no personal vision (I also know a lot of ppl like that, loads of knowledge and not a lot of personal input)

If he can get it for free... why is he going to pay.

I honestly don't get it tho... I don't think his photography is all that :/
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2010, 04:05 PM

A couple of minutes ago I received an email offering me to shoot a Calendar for upcoming season. "Unfortunately it is an unpaid work but a good opportunity to build my portfolio and experience ..."

I replayed "Unfortunately I am not in the position to take unpaid job as I have my own expenses and I suppose to pay my bills"

Thank you very much - several years ago I got an opportunity to shoot a fashion calendar on Cyprus and the cost of the production was $50.000 ... And I got paid that time
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Yes, it is getting a lot harder in this business.
I'm a freelance retoucher located in London, I have a lot of experience and worked for some pretty famous clients in beauty & fashion, but it's still very hard to get more clients at the moment.
I had some long term clients I had to stop working for because their rates dropped from fair prices I could live off to Middle Eastern rates within half a year, and of course I also get a lot of requests for free work.
Most of the time the people who ask me to work for free are not students or photographers working on a low budget project... it's big companies who want to use the images for their websites or who want huge series of commercial fashion or product photos retouched. Of course they promise you that they "might" pay you one day if your work is good, but come on, there are so many retouchers who work for free that it would be much easier for them to just hire another free retoucher again.

I don't take these jobs anymore, I also don't work for extremely low rates anymore because I refuse to give low quality work to my clients.
I'm a high end retoucher and everything with my name on it will have high end quality.
But working that way also means that you struggle a lot sometimes to find new clients who still value very good quality work, good communication and, people tend to forget this when they hire free or low budget retouchers, a very good service.

@Benny
Your post is just another example of how hard to have to work to make it in media and how these big people just don't care about the people who work for them.
I'm sure many young people will still apply for this job...

Kind Regards,

Nadine

Nadine1301@googlemail.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 AM

Nadine, this is exactly what I wanted to do - always keep the top level of the quality and get paid for it. But the problem is as you already mentioned to keep old clients and get new ones. I was very lucky to shoot that calendar (2001) which brought me a good reputation. It is not easy to be a center point of everything and facing this kind of responsibility. It was for the client who wanted to establish a new brand on the market in the Czech Republic. Unfortunately he was not successful as the market is not good ...

Same thing happened to me later. Of course I visited best czech factories and they were surprised because of the cost of the production (which was paid to the production company) and they could not afford budget like this.

I think we need to find right balance between the quality and the price. For example I work on my personal projects right now and I do not care if I spend one week working on 1 picture (if I can). I want the best quality for my personal work which was not published yet. But if I have a client I can offer to him different levels of my services and he can make his own decision which solution works best for him. I do not want to loose a client of course but I wish to get paid as well
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 10:01 AM

Yes, that's exactly what I think too.

I have 2 ways of retouching skin, one quicker one for catalogues, online shops etc. and one high end magazine quality one.
I always give my clients the option of choosing one or even a combination of both, but I always make sure that the quality of the images is very good.
They often print my name in the credits of catalogues, magazines etc. and I can't afford to have a cheap looking image in there, but I also can't afford to work 5 hours for £20.

The other thing is that we have a global market now and that people from different countries charge different rates.
I live in London, UK, and my hourly rate is £39 (around $50). That's absolutely nothing compared to the rate a retouching studio charges over here, but if you quote on a job in the USA it seems a lot to photographers and agencies over there.
The global market can be amazing, but I sometimes think that trying to stick to your own country (or continent) makes it easier to maintain your rate.

But I definitely don't take any free commercial jobs anymore.
I do work on tf with some amazing photographers every now and then which really benefits my portfolio.
But if a company hires a retoucher/photographer or intern to work completely for free and even uses the images in a commercial way it's just disrespectful.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs