Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

photo editor salary/pay question

Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Question photo editor salary/pay question

I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on working for a local photographer. How much should I get paid an hour? I used to work for a local photographer and was getting $10 an hour when I left; but I always felt I was worth more. Now I am looking at starting again but with a different and slightly better known photographer and was wondering how much I should ask for an hour. I am planning on asking between $12-$15 an hour. I am in Fayetteville NC; I am pretty sure that makes a difference, I know the cost of living is different for different locations. Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by Stormy; 01-05-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Re: photo editor salary/pay question

Depends what the photographer is shooting.... I charge $125 an hour now. But I only work with larger accounts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Re: photo editor salary/pay question

A local stable client is the best you could find. I have here (in Venezuela) some 4 studios which have 8-10 years working with me. Evey week I have work waiting in file. My job is different, 99% of my retouch is in fact restoration, they send me very damaged pictures and related. The photo studios here are always using 1-2 people for the low/fast level retouch but can not spend a lot of time with the advanced one. For them is better pay me and have their own people doing a lot of fast task.
You also must understand that your price (for them) is in fact a reseller rate. The studio must earn money too so your price will be charged with some 50%-60% more for the final consummer. So, you must balance your work rate with this reality. If you sell directly to the final buyer, your cost is higher. If you sell your service to a reseller it must be a little more inexpensive.
I have 10 years charging per image but not for work hour. If you do not work inside the photo studio but from your home is much better.
I do not know your local hour rate but if you are in a good level, $15/hour it's not too bad for a beginning. Making 90 bucks a day doing retouch it's a good start point.
Try to extend your clients portfolio, with some 3-4 you'll be great.
Regards and a lot of good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Smile Re: photo editor salary/pay question

Thank you for your reply's!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs