RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Tips for portfolios

Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM

Re: Tips for portfolios

Of course you did, Shift, you told me more or less the same things than Abenormal, also Alan. I was looking for the e-mails in order to post a the essentials of what you all told me, but cannot find the e-mail. At that period of time I used Windows, so those emails weren't loaded into Mail, making impossible for me to find them But yeah, I remember how useful was all that data and reviews
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the tips Abe, definitely useful info. I'm working on putting together a printed book (finally!) and I'm playing around with different ideas on how to layout the before and afters, how things flow, how to present composites vs. beauty shots, etc. I'd be interested on hearing how others deal with this sort of thing.

one thing I would add when putting together a portfolio, would be to put a lot of thought into what type/caliber of image you use, may seem like an obvious thing, but i see it all the time when people get really focused on showing off technique and lose sight of the actual content of the image.

don't show anything that wouldn't be potentially usable in an ad campaign or whatever. I know that's easier said than done, but just as an example putting in an HDR industrial landscape no matter how awesome the HDR looks it wouldnt be a good thing to put into a portfolio because it just isn't commercially viable.

Just by association to the photographer/client its going to make you as a retoucher look good, so the thought process of the portfolio viewer would be something like-- 'the before and after difference may not be all that dramatic but if an amazing photographer/client hires this retoucher to work on his stuff, then he must be good enough for me to hire him'

dont get me wrong showing technique is super important and the bigger the difference in the before and after the better, im just saying its important to balance these things out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Thanks Abe! And thank you again for taking the time to have me in the office back then.
Hope all is well with you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2011, 04:22 PM

hi.

I am in process of putting together a portfolio myself,
barring paying for a flash templates or going the freebee
route with ads has anybody managed to create a portfolio
site using just html?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2011, 01:51 AM

And what happened with MarkZebra... Lots of time without having any news about him...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 AM

You guys sound reasonable, but...

The best retouching agencies never post "before" in internet, they coul have the "before" exhamples in their printed books, but noi in the web.

One retoucher, who is a head of a small, but good retouching agence told me that to put "before" in you port is a "professional suicide", without any comments... )
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
You guys sound reasonable, but...

The best retouching agencies never post "before" in internet, they coul have the "before" exhamples in their printed books, but noi in the web.

One retoucher, who is a head of a small, but good retouching agence told me that to put "before" in you port is a "professional suicide", without any comments... )
I'm pretty sure this is covered in the comments if you read the whole thread, but just to clarify: Yes, the photographer who made the base image (who may also be your potential client) is NOT going to like seeing his work published, unretouched, without permission.

I am not a big fan of online portfolios, for lots of reasons...

The images are almost always too small to see detail, and detail is what separates good retouching from bad.

Color is unpredictable from screen to screen. When I see a printed proof I can assume that the retoucher looked at and approved the proof, and if the colors look bad then I know it is their eye or judgement at fault.

I don't post my own work online because I don't like seeing it turn up in unscrupulous people's portfolios. That might seem like No Big Deal, but imagine the scenario where someone else shows my work right before I show it. The person doing the hiring doesn't know who the thief is and may as well just exclude us both from consideration. Now, I know that these days a link to work online or an email may be requested, in which case I create a custom site that isn't top-domain nor linked (easily found by search engines) or email a password-protected PDF. I would also be very careful about what I include in these - I would only use works based on stock images or ones that I photographed, or that I obtained the photographer's permission to use. I wouldn't publish works online that used hired photographers even though the agency I work for owns the rights to those images. I would use those images in my printed book.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Thanks abenormal! Your posts are great!

So, to sum up: you just need to be carefull with what you are uploading.
I use the on-line portfolio just like a teaser and alwas offer to send hi reses and before-afters personally by e-mail.
Printed book is cruicial if you work with local client which is hurdly happening in my case.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 12:08 AM

I've found if I don't include before images beside the finished ones I always get asked 'what did you do?' If you're finished work is exquisite then no one can tell how you've improved the on the original without a side by side comparison.

I like the idea of a custom site, they're so easy to put together these days. It's like tayloring your resume for every job you've applied to.

- Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM

I hate to start a new thread on this same issue, so i figured I would just chime in with additional questions. Hope this is ok.

I'm looking to put together my first print portfolio as well, and looking at some binding options the question of "landscape vs. portrait" came to mind. I have good work in both ratios so now I'm not sure what to do! Do most people just stick to one, or is it acceptable to do half the book portrait half landscape? Guidance is appreciated!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs