RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Tips for portfolios

Old 02-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Tips for portfolios

Hello,

I work in an advertising agency at the minute, but I'd like to move into freelance retouching (I have about 5 years experience in photography and beauty retouching).

My question is: when you're putting together your portfolio, do you show before/afters, or do you just show finished images, or a combination of the two?

Thanks in advance!

C
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Re: Tips for portfolios

I think you should show the before/afters. Its much more dramatic when you see the differences after you worked on it, especially when the 'after' is laid overtop the 'before' - like a rollover.

thats what I think - anyone else agree or disagree?

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Patron

I agree with shift studio. Only showing the final result of your work without the original does not necessarily represent your skills as a retoucher. Roll-overs or side by side images work well.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2011, 05:48 PM

I agree -- before and after
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 PM

I would not show before and afters personally, most photographers and models don't appreciate it, it does provide an easy visual reference, but your job is making an image all it can be not showing what you have done.

My tuppence worth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Needham View Post
I would not show before and afters personally, most photographers and models don't appreciate it, it does provide an easy visual reference, but your job is making an image all it can be not showing what you have done.

My tuppence worth.
True - you need to ask the photographer first. IMO you don't need to ask a model unless the shot was meant specifically to promote the model.
Now, if you are more of a retoucher/illustrator who focuses on the creative-photo-illustration, there should be no issue - it's known to be artificial. If you don't show the before, the person who is viewing may have no idea just how much you made the shot better or how many elements needed to be combined.

Also consider your audience here - the general public will never see your site. Most models will never see your site either. Mostly only people who are interested in your retouching work, like art-directors, photographers, designers, other retouchers etc. and they already know nearly every image seen in magazines, advertising etc is processed to some extent. So don't be afraid to show what you can do!

just my two cents.
--shift studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Before and afters are 100% absolutely essential in a retouching book. You're trying to demonstrate what you are capable of, and the more dramatic the difference from start to finish, the better. It's also good to have a little story about each image in mind as you show your portfolio.
Photographers on the other hand, should only show final images. So what do you show if you're a photographer AND a retoucher?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopoint0 View Post
Photographers on the other hand, should only show final images. So what do you show if you're a photographer AND a retoucher?
I *think* most photographer/retouchers are photographers first, retouchers second. Retouching for them is probably just a necessary step to get images where they originally envisioned. So... end product would be what they would show in their portfolio.

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 AM

You're right. A photographer can't very well say, "hey, look at this crappy image I started with!".
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I've done a simple 1, 2 before-after setup on my website. If you're interested, please let me know what you think.

http://www.christopherkeatinge.com

Could do with a bit of streamlining. Am trying to figure out how to do rollovers.

Actually, funnily enough I also have a little section on my photography, but I'm thinking of removing it for the time being.

Cheers all,

Christopher
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs