RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Work

Old 04-09-2011, 03:17 AM

Re: Work

Hi,
I am too, I'm living my life only by retouching

Khanh
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2011, 01:43 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Good to see so many successfully focusing only on retouching.

Zganie, what you might do to provoke more replies (assuming your very first thread didn't generate enough responses to satisfy you) is to bump that original thread to the top by replying to yourself with a reminder. That way your query and the resulting discussion stays nice and tidy ;-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Who cares?
Do what you love to do, study as much as pos, do it best you can and you will always earn for living with it. Sooner or later.
I do not only retouching for living for the moment, I'm just a beginner in pro retouch, but going to switch only for retouching shortly and have no doubts I'll earn. Even considering my location.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 10:53 PM

Hi, I'm Durgadevi as a photorestoration, retouching artist,I have 8 years expericence in this field. Iam seaking for freelance works,Please give me
any suggisions, healp me
Regards
Durgadevi
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/mem...durgadevi.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 11:09 PM

Hi, I'm Durgadevi as a photorestoration, retouching artist,I have 8 years expericence in this field. Iam seaking for freelance works,Please give me
any suggisions, healp me
Regards
Durgadevi
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
I am Really Curious HOW many People actually MAKE a FULLTIME living from RETOUCHING or RESTORATION work
me too. . .

Quote:
I Personally think a SMALL percentage actually do
I agree . . .
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I am Really Curious HOW many People actually MAKE a FULLTIME living from
RETOUCHING or RESTORATION work

I Personally think a SMALL percentage actually do
any suggisions, healp me
Regards
Durgadevi
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Yeah, it probably is a very small percentage of people who actually do this for a living full time. I'm not very likely to go to a party that isn't industry-related and meet another retoucher. But then there's also not a lot of people who make their living as full time photographers or classical musicians or actors.

This is a profession that not only demands skill, but lots and lots of time to hone and develop that skill. In 'Outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell, he writes that most experts in any given field have devoted no less than 10,000 hours to its practice. That's about five years of doing one thing for 40 hours a week. Retouching tends to also be a sort of catch22 in that the majority of well-spent time is usually the kind that involves real paying jobs, the kind of job that has consequences if the work isn't up to snuff. Can't get good unless you're working on real jobs, can't get real jobs if you're not any good.
It's frustrating, to be sure.

So how do you reconcile this? Internships and/or starting at the ground level and working your way up.

For me personally, I got into it pretty young, so I had the luxury of an extremely flexible schedule (working nights and weekends) and not having a ton of financial responsibilities. I lived with roommates, had no children to support. I was in a position to work a lot, and for cheap, knowing that in return I was essentially in an apprenticeship. In lieu of a high wage I was gaining much needed experience in an environment that had real consequences. If I wasn't steadily getting better, no more job.
So if you've got a few kids and a mortgage to pay, starting on the bottom isn't very desirable, and unfortunately, for the vast majority of us, we all started at the bottom.

I started out putting comp elements into position and cutting masks and eventually got my sea legs and did increasingly more and more complex work.
Most photographers and make-up artists start this way as well, assisting the master until they've accrued enough knowledge and skill to then make it on their own.

I've also had to move a few times to whatever market I was focusing on. I did automotive retouching for almost a decade, and so I lived in Detroit. Now I'm focusing on fashion and beauty, so I live in New York. There's a few people who are making a living working remotely and doing quite well, both financially and skill-wise, but that is the exception, not the norm.

Working knowledge of photoshop is a given, but you also need to put in the time, and it helps to live where the work is. If any of this is not an option, then maybe this career isn't for you.

By the original post and some of the replies, it seems that many folks would like to do this for a living and don't know how to get their foot in the door, and I hope this response helps some of you out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 AM

Zganie, I am sure you are correct. The percentage of the earth's population that makes a living retouching must be incredibly small. It isn't even listed as a profession on government forms or tax papers. There are 10 million people in New York City on a workday, and there can't be more than a few hundred working as retouchers.
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 04:00 AM

Really informative Eraanexact
This is what I was talking about,letting new people know what to expect
Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs