RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How to Sell Skin Pore Retouch Textures - Ideas

Old 03-12-2011, 10:54 AM

Re: How to Sell Skin Pore Retouch Textures - Ideas

Hi Repairman,

Yes the skin pore textures are individual types of textures and can be dynamically created to meet commercial requirements from amateur web size 800pix 72 dpi images... up to professional 300dpi 16" x 20" print ad images. They are applied and controlled by an add and subtract brush and follow the flow characteristics of an airbrush.

There are over 20 different kinds of specific pore textures we have created. Our newest version can produce an almost unlimited size and scale of pores and is totally seamless.

The pores can be corrected in color, and in transparency, and in blending, and depth and lighting direction. They are easy and quick to apply and look well under close scrutiny. It is possible to exactly match and produce the proper yellow or brown or gray pore colors for different ethnic groups. Both children and adults have the same kind of skin pores...but are applied and manifested a bit differently. The application is quite variable to be able to accommodate both.

The reason im posting this here in the business section is that I can sell these myself obviously, but it seems to me that they might quite valuable to a wide media population. Some associates are encouraging me to make them available for free...others say im nuts for not recovering my development costs and for generating a revenue stream because they are highly unique and quite valuable to the end users. Id be more comfortable licensing them to an Adobe, or Portrait Professional or Nik if I could recoup my development efforts and also create a revenue stream for myself for sharing my highly developed image resource library and the processes of creation and the learnings of professional end user application.

Id love to find a business associate who could help me figure out how to work through this issue well. I might have a product that could be highly useful to many photographers, studios, retouchers and 3D media producers.

Last edited by ray12; 03-12-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 12:57 PM

Ray,

3D people also need a bump map or displacement map, rather than an imagemap, except for the face, where there is variation in color toning as well as pores/grooves.
the rest of the body has rather monotone tints, thus a displacement map will do there in most cases (ellbows and knees are another exception).
a bump or displacement map is not the same as a greyscale version of the tone map.
white parts are high, black parts are deep.

cheers
wim
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Hi Wim,

How would I go about testing if I can convert my skin textures into displacement maps...is there something special or are there programs that can convert. While I have elements of white, gray and black in my textures...what could I do to convert them into texture bump maps?

Can I do it in Photoshops displacement map function...or is there a process that 3D people use to convert grayscale information into proper displacement maps?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Ray,
sometimes it works to just use the grayscale images, but it all depends on the nature of the texture and how the texture is lighted. if the shadows are too harsh then you get unrealistic results, the relief does not resemble the real texture.
imagine that with a bump map, the deep grooves of the skin are black, and the "goose bump tips" are white. with a regular image, one side of the grooves is lighter than the other, and the goose bumps are equally lit, which places them at the same depth level as the grooves, but reversed (e.g. white left, black right for goose bumps, and the other way round for the grooves). this is what makes it unreal if you use this in 3D.

I haven't tried with skin, I am more into technical 3D, but you can google for leather bump map or displacement map, and analyse these, and see if your patterns come close. although there is a lot of not so good material out there, so beware.

I also forgot to mention a third method used in 3d, namely normal mapping. this is done by illuminating the object with 4 different colors of light, and gives the most spectacular type of relief simulation. but I am not shure if they use this for skins too. those cannot be derived from a grayscale image.

after next weekend (march 20) I have some more time and then I can do some tests with plain skin texture like the one you use, applied to a 3D object and see what the effect is.
I will post the results here or can email them to you if you like.

cheers
wim
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 04:34 PM

Hi Wim,

Yes, That would be very kind of you. You can send me a personal message here at RetouchPro and we can trade e-mails. Thank you for the displacement map and texture map explanation. I have a very nice spread and separation in my library images and the textures are very precisely lit.

Can I make some geometric displacement maps in Photoshop CS5 Extended using my 2d textures somehow? I might be able to handle that.

I have an older version of DAZ Studio and some victoria models...ive never learned to run the program yet...could I use that to create some displacement maps from my nicely lit and graded 2D PSD or Tif files?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 05:21 PM

I did a little experiment with extracting snake skin texture
and applying it on a model's face. I would like to try doing it with an elephant as well. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM

Hi pixeljar, I did that too!! I can remember the day! Most girls dont like snakes...so it didnt go over too well with most of the models. How funny! Thanks for chiming in
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs