RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How to Sell Skin Pore Retouch Textures - Ideas

Old 03-10-2011, 05:59 PM

How to Sell Skin Pore Retouch Textures - Ideas

I have developed a retouching capability where you can artistically add photographic quality and anatomically correct skin pores back into a picture.

The technology works with Adobe Photoshop CS2-CS5 PC or MAC

It is good for covering over and hiding cloning work you do on a face, or replacing skin texture on a cheek or thigh or forehead because you have smoothed in that area, or there is no texture to begin with, or you want to have an area of blemishes or dry patchy skin look magazine picture perfect.

How would I go about proposing that Adobe, or Nik, or Portrait Professional kind of companies take a look at it for development by them into their own product line. I can sell the skin pores myself individually but im not necessarily gifted in this area...im an artist retoucher.

Ive been to several initial consulting sessions with lawyers and they have given me some ideas that vary in opinion even. So im still working on that.

Any stray bits and pieces of ideas for me?

Here is a video link showing the skin pore technology and how it is used.

http://www.screencast.com/t/oVQkQvB3MaZ

I have used the potential product I developed almost every day and it is invaluable for having picture perfect retouches...but how do I turn it from an in-house tool...to something for the retoucher whi needs something like this?

Cheers

Thanks

Last edited by ray12; 03-10-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 PM

Re: How to Sell Skin Pore Retouch Textures - Ideas

That looks absolutely brilliant - I would suggest that getting in touch with Portrait Professional might be an idea - or one of the 3D modelling sites such as Renderosity.

Please post back here if you do set up an outlet I would certainly be interested but could depend on the price.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 PM

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the encouragement and the suggestions.

I hadnt thought of Renderosity. Eventually the skin pores could be used on 3d models I suppose. I have skin pore textures from each major part of the body as seamlessly tiled sheets of any size at web and print resolution. There are approx 16 different kinds of skin textures on the human body and each has a different characteristic pattern. Im not sure what I would have to provide to a 3D modeler...would seamless sheets be adequate? Or are there some other special ways that textures are used and provided in modeling?

With Portrait Professional I could provide skin pore "masks" that would register right over the face as you adjust the eyes and lips...you could also be stretching the texture mask at the same time... and registering the pores in the correct places (the eye pores are especially sensitive to positioning under the eyes).

I wonder how I could successfully get the attention of a larger company like that. Ive tried e-mails but they sometimes go unanswered it seems...people are busy.

Thanks again for your suggestion...very helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 05:18 AM

Ray,

The 3D people who create textures for the various models would probably use PSD files. I am assuming that your process is a texture layer and mask.

Getting really good textures for 3D models can be a real headache - usually they look like plastic dolls.

Another company that may be interested is Akvis they do some excellent plug-ins. Their support is pretty good so you could try emailing support @akvis.com. The only name I have there is Irina Vesnina. They also have a support forum here.

Hope you get this going. If I can be of any help send me a PM.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray12 View Post
I have developed a retouching capability where you can artistically add photographic quality and anatomically correct skin pores back into a picture.

The technology works with Adobe Photoshop CS2-CS5 PC or MAC

It is good for covering over and hiding cloning work you do on a face, or replacing skin texture on a cheek or thigh or forehead because you have smoothed in that area, or there is no texture to begin with, or you want to have an area of blemishes or dry patchy skin look magazine picture perfect.

How would I go about proposing that Adobe, or Nik, or Portrait Professional kind of companies take a look at it for development by them into their own product line. I can sell the skin pores myself individually but im not necessarily gifted in this area...im an artist retoucher.

Ive been to several initial consulting sessions with lawyers and they have given me some ideas that vary in opinion even. So im still working on that.

Any stray bits and pieces of ideas for me?

Here is a video link showing the skin pore technology and how it is used.

http://www.screencast.com/t/oVQkQvB3MaZ

I have used the potential product I developed almost every day and it is invaluable for having picture perfect retouches...but how do I turn it from an in-house tool...to something for the retoucher whi needs something like this?

Cheers

Thanks

Ray,

I can simply advice you to develop a scritpting plugin to use ur texture into play, so low end professionals also able to use it without having good knowledge about pores and textures and you can make a good market for your product. for it I think u need to do it :-
1. Create a script where photoshop user can select the pores and apply it in masking mode to a layer.
2. after applying properly it will merge into a layer so your secrets are hidden.
3. contact a software developer so he can make a software for it, be sure there must be functionlity to use as a demo and after puchase license methods.

at first it is a bit hard but if you really dig into business think about it. I can give u more info if you need. e-mail me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2011, 10:18 AM

Ray- I watched most of the video yesterday, and I'm still thinking about it. You definitely have something there.
I didn't see if you built some kind of plug in around them, but I'd love to just have the texture files to brush apply through layers.
My advice? Move fast on this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 AM

Unfortunately I'm not able to see the videos. getting error on the page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 05:25 AM

The original link has moved to:

http://www.screencast.com/t/wIHk5WI0yyIG

I will leave it up for a few more days. Perhaps till March 15 2011. The bandwidth requirements are quite large. I will look possibly into producing a smaller size clip.

Please note that this video is on a retouch image of a rock performer singing on stage... so the colors are a bit theatrical by nature.

Last edited by ray12; 03-12-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 AM

Hi Ash,

I think you are correct. I did try to get 2 software developers to work on it...but they were so intent on running up billing hours and high development costs that it left me cold...after it was done they were not able to provide a workable solution as you suggest in a reasonable time and at a reasonable cost. I may need to get someone locally to me so I can collaborate with them closely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2011, 07:25 AM

Good vid Ray. Are the textures scaleable to accommodate all file sizes/resolutions (within typical commercial requirements)? Do you have variations of texture for different skin types - child/adult, asian/african etc?
R.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs