RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Reps that lack a category for retouchers

Old 03-12-2011, 04:58 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

Reps that lack a category for retouchers

I've noticed that reps don't represent retouchers. I should clarify, I have seen one that does, out of so many that don't include a category for retouchers. Why is that?

The categories I've seen are as follows:

photographers
set designers
stylists
makeup artists
hair stylists
manicurist
illustrators
art direction
production

I've seen one rep that does have a couple of retouchers on their roster, but I've not seen any others that follow suite. Are there any out there represent retouchers? And this does not include places that just represent retouchers like happy finish, but reps that have a wide range of talent on their roster as mentioned above.

Last edited by Solstice; 03-14-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 AM

Re: Reps that lack a category for retouchers

I've recently signed on with a rep. I don't have a lot of experience with this yet since we just signed the contract last week, but I do think potentially it will be a very good relationship for both me and the rep. It has been a significant source of motivation to get mailers, portfolio, and other marketing things together.

I know there aren't many reps out there that take on retouchers but I think that might start to change. it is a bit of a different business model than they typically work with so thats why I think most reps stick with the photographers/stylists for now. but hopefully we'll be seeing more and more budgets with a significant portion of them assigned to retouching and more reps will see it as a potential revenue stream for them.

here is her website -- www.sallyreps.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 AM

When I started my retouching service I employed a photographer's rep one day a month to get me appointments. He was good at cold calling and knew enough to get me in the door of ad agencies and snappers. For £250, he had to get me 5 good appointments which only I would attend. They had to be decent contacts too, not just makeweights. Of course there were a few duds in the pack but overall it worked well. The key is to keep the rep both motivated and knowledgeable about what is and isn't possible.
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janko View Post
I've recently signed on with a rep. I don't have a lot of experience with this yet since we just signed the contract last week, but I do think potentially it will be a very good relationship for both me and the rep. It has been a significant source of motivation to get mailers, portfolio, and other marketing things together.

I know there aren't many reps out there that take on retouchers but I think that might start to change. it is a bit of a different business model than they typically work with so thats why I think most reps stick with the photographers/stylists for now. but hopefully we'll be seeing more and more budgets with a significant portion of them assigned to retouching and more reps will see it as a potential revenue stream for them.

here is her website -- www.sallyreps.com
Indeed, good point regarding the dynamic of relationships which may hinder representation. Your situation is inspiring for the future of retouchers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairman View Post
When I started my retouching service I employed a photographer's rep one day a month to get me appointments. He was good at cold calling and knew enough to get me in the door of ad agencies and snappers. For £250, he had to get me 5 good appointments which only I would attend. They had to be decent contacts too, not just makeweights. Of course there were a few duds in the pack but overall it worked well. The key is to keep the rep both motivated and knowledgeable about what is and isn't possible.
R.
Thanks for your input. How long ago did you employ the rep and is your situation better now that you took those steps early on? Do you still maintain ties with those contacts and was it worth it now that you look back on it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 AM

14 years ago Sol. I had the rep shadow me for a day to overview the whole process from scanning through to output and the magic bit in between! Because he was photographically trained he picked it up quick and I felt confident that he wouldn't say the wrong things to prospects. I employed him one day per month for at least a year; he would log the calls and list potentials for future call back if there was no immediate requirement. I have retained the business of one of those original contacts who have spent over £50k to date so I'd have to say it was worth it. My rep was highly motivated which makes all the difference - if they aren't exited about your business - forget it!
R.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 05:38 AM

unfortunately I'm not getting about reps. What is "Reps" ?????? How it works, is it helpful to get clients for our retouching skill ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashphotoart View Post
unfortunately I'm not getting about reps. What is "Reps" ?????? How it works, is it helpful to get clients for our retouching skill ?
A 'Rep' = 'Representative'
They help you getting work by being well-connected and because they represent other workers in related fields (photographers, make-up artists, stylists etc).
Feel free to expand, because I'm not an expert here.

-- shift studio.

Last edited by shift studio; 03-15-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
A 'Rep' = 'Representative'
They help you getting work by being well-connected and because they represent other workers in related fields (photographers, make-up artists, stylists etc).
Feel free to expand, because I'm not an expert here.

-- shift studio.

Thank u Shift Studio. So how we can get reputated Reps , is there any directory where we can find them.

Ashish
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 AM

Check out Indian photographic and advertising institutions/magazines/bodies/publicity year books etc and look for Agents. You probably won't find a specific retouching agent but you may find a photo or artist agency - I don't know how the system works on your patch
R.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs