Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Unpaid work: when is it okay?

Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Re: Unpaid work: when is it okay?

I just did a Honda Ad for a photographer that I tested with a week before, we did an editorial for NEO2 - Ended up being the cover story because the magazine liked it so much. I got the credit for the studio, the job with the huge budget (decent deadline), a contact with a great agency and art director, not to mention a reputable company.

Be smart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2012, 10:00 PM

If you are willing to work for free you should volunteer for operation photo least you know that the people who recieve your picture will appriciate it!!it is a chance to practice your skills or talents. I restored a picture or two for family...and I charged them for it. I am seriously underpaid most of the time, but I do expect some sort of payment. I once restored a picture for the owner of a coffee shop who offered me coffee in exchange for future work. I did not learn to restore overnight, I am always learning, it takes time and skill. It also cost money for the software I use. photoshop cs5 was not cheap. the books I read cost about $50.00 each.its not uncommon for me to spend $100.00 on a program. I have to charge for the things I do. I if restoring came easy to everyone they would do it themselves! You are selling yourself when you sell your work, you have to feel that your work has value.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 AM

I have retouched many test shoots, both to boost my portfolio and to practice. I would only work for free if I could see the potential to network with good photographers and for there to be a possibility of paid work in the future. Although I would never agree to work for free unless I had met the photographer face to face. I have been contacted via email for freelance work, suggested a good rate, retouched their images and never been paid before.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2012, 11:07 AM

I have done work before payment but never without payment request. Most pay, some don't. The few that don't, I guess you could say got it for free!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs