Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

I need help giving a quote to a client

Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 PM
I need help giving a quote to a client

Hi all! My first post here. Maybe some of you could point me in the right direction on this....

I have a photographer that needs a quote for retouching/ image processing for his architectural photography that will be sent to his stock agencies like Corbis, Getty, and iStock.

He wants a package quote for sets of image. 10 images, 20 images and then an hourly rate for extensive work.

Most of the work will be pretty basic. Color correction, sensor dust, density correction, and process image to his stock agencies specks. Most of these images will be fairly quick. There will be the ocasional image that will need more attention such as removals, cloning, masking, etc. For those, I told him that I would give him an hourly quote. Now, I was thinking somewhere around the $60-$90 for my hourly rate. But I really can't nail down a rate for the sets of images... it seems to me that these are images that are coming off editorial jobs and he usually will have those amounts set aside to send off for stock.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Re: I need help giving a quote to a client

John, your rateindow looks reasonable but a lot depends on the market you are in and its competitiveness. The type of customer and his market is also a major factor. Last time I checked, stock sites were getting to be a down-in-the-dirt tough market. Images submitted by the photographer are put in a library of 10 million other images and you hope your image can be found and might be downloaded and you get a small percentage of the license fee, especially if it is Royalty Free. Most photogs do not have much of a budget for retouching. You would be doing the photographer a favor by giving him the following advise:
Architectural photography is almost always high contrast. Conventional shooting almost always results in blown highlights and plugged shadows. He can save a ton of money by shooting bracketed photos with a tripod and using the proper practises to take photos that can be processed with HDR software. The money he can save in retouching fees will be huge, especially since sites like Corbis and iStock have very high standards of what they will accept. Offering him some good advise might help you get the business.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs