Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Job Interview, Please Help!?

Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Exclamation Job Interview, Please Help!?

So here's the deal... I'm interviewing at a local clothing base of headquarters that is looking for a part time editor. I interviewed at this same place last year for the same position and got to the second interview where they have you edit a number of images and it's timed. The samples I brought last year were terrible so honestly I don't even know how I got through to the second interview but I didn't do that well I don't think.

The job itself seems pretty simple and pretty standard. They are looking for someone to clean up cataloguesque images of there clothing and shoes for there website ie... removing scars, stray hairs, tattoo's, blemishes, fixing the images coloring, cropping, and some other minor stuff.

My work has gotten a lot better but I am self taught so I don't always know the technical terms for everything. I'm looking to be a little bit more confident when I go in tomorrow than the last time I interviewed there but I have a couple of questions...

1. Most of the features of Photoshop I am more than well versed in but "CURVES" which is something a LOT of editors use and find it to be very important isn't something I use all that often. I am a big fan of "LEVELS" and I use it quite a bit but a I missing something with curves? What would it's main use in this line of work be?

2. Is there any questions I should ask THEM that might be impressive? I know some employers are happily surprised to have questions like this asked of them.

3. Are there any general tips you would have for getting this kind of entry level editing job? It would mean the WORLD to me as this is something I love doing but I'm afraid they're going to pass me up again. Thanks in advance and sorry about the long post!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Re: Job Interview, Please Help!?

Curves do most of the "heavy lifting" in digital retouching and restoration. Consider curves as levels on steroids. To grow and develop in this business you need an intimate working knowledge of curves and their uses.

I suggest browsing the Restoration and Retouching sections of this forum, paying special attention to how various folks use curves. Someone will be willing to assist you in the learning process, but read the forum responses and check out the tutorials section before asking for help. Chances are that your question has already been answered here somewhere.

Practice on your current images where you have previously used levels to learn the flexibility of using curves for the same task.

Good Luck!

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Re: Job Interview, Please Help!?

You can, and should, ask them if you will be editing in RGB color space for web use, or CMYK if the images are going to be printed. You can say that you prefer to edit in RGB, then convert to the printer's preferred CMYK profile when you're done.
Just try to look confident and hope they don't ask you any follow up questions.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs