Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

New Restoration Business

Old 07-17-2002, 09:19 PM
New Restoration Business

Hi, Im starting a restoration business. I have years of experience with PS and restoring photos mostly in the line of advertising and web usage. Now Im going to do it to make money and concentrate on that end of it. What I would like to know is this, what would be a dyesub printer to use to reprint the finished product that is affordable and has a commercial, photo lab quality, if there is one?

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2002, 09:33 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hey Tex! Welcome aboard. I don't have any words of wisdom, but surely somebody will. Just wanted to say "Hi", and welcome you to the site.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2002, 09:57 PM
Hey Tex! Welcome to RP.

I don't have any personal experience with any dye sub except Kodak (which are kind of spendy) but I've heard a lot of good things about Alps dye sub printers. I've heard a rumor that they're difficult go get ahold of though... Cost for a good Alps is around $500 compared to around $8000+ for a Kodak DS...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Olympus has a good line, but the size is limited.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 07:44 AM
Welcome Tex! Depending on how much money you are looking to invest, Fuji offers a line of printers which have an excellent record and are highly regarded...but at a price. Approx. $4000.00 and up. The other units mentioned above also have a good reputation but if you are looking for the best quality print, you will have to consider that when it comes to printers, you pretty much get what you pay for. The more sophisticated the unit, the higher the price. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2002, 11:01 AM
Kodak has a new dye sub out and I saw a Calumet ad for it at I think $999.00. It prints both glossy and matte. Other than that I do not know anything else about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2002, 11:04 AM
We use the Fuji Pictography 4000. The price of this machine has dropped significantly in the past years, and I am sure that you could even find one used. There are only two complaints. One is the cost of the reciver and donor the machine uses, and the second is our ability to colntrol the color. It always seems to shift some. But don't get me wrong. I like this printer. Especially its printing size of 12x18. For a small start up business I think it is a great purchase. It is the first printer I started with.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs