RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Do you have a basic minimum package?

Old 08-13-2001, 06:06 AM

Tom,

Sounds like you and I are from the same type area...small area where people have computers and are wanting photos on CD but don't have a clue on how to use the CD once they get it. I got a call from a lady locally and she wanted me to teach a class on basic photo restoration...needless to say I tried to explain to her that most people don't even have imaging software and those that do all have different types so the process would be a little different in each case. I suggested if they wanted to learn they contact me for a one on one session. Of course at $20.00 an hour no one has called yet. Oh well guess I'm just too expensive for them but I'm not about to lower my cost as I have put a hefty amount in to learn what I have learned. On any of the pictures we do we automatically do a tonal correction as well as spot removal unless the customer specifically asks not to have it done. And yes, I have also had the customer from he--. She appeared with all 82 of her photos and a type written letter with instructions on each and every one.

I do have a question for you Tom, how do you handle the issue of different monitors and printers displaying a picture differently? I know I have calibrated my monitor to my printer and I don't think what I see on my monitor or off my printer is necesarily what the customer will see on their monitor or printer? Just something that is bound to come up sooner or later.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2001, 07:34 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Oh Boy! I can see the differences in monitor settings being a problem. I don't remember who it was, but someone on Doug's old site had the monitor out of whack, and when Doug mentioned something about the colors being a little surprising, he/she said that they looked fine on the monitor he/she was using to do the challenge. But when the problem was pointed out, at least he/she knew and understood where the fault was. A customer might not be understandable of that. It should be made clear to the customer before scanning that the photos *could* look like the color is out of balance if his monitor is not set properly. At least that way, if it happens, they've been warned of the possibility.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2001, 07:56 AM

Chris, I think our general "locales" have much in common. Up here are mostly Farming/Ranching families and all other businesses tend to the "support " side of those occupations. I have gotten calls from people who are having trouble with their computer displays but this has happened only a couple of times and has always been from people with older equipment who have trouble with displaying any image from any source. I explain to folks who have us burn their photos to CD that there may be some differences in color between different monitors which doesnot seem to cause the customers any concern. I fully agree with charging some fee for giving any kind of course on Image Editing. Although I have thus far avoided doing any formal type instruction, keeping it on the level of " call if you have a problem or question and I'll see what I can do." This approach probably wouldnt work in a more populated area but in deeply rural settings it is a viable model due to the somewhat limited population and the willingness of most folks here to admit that perfection doesnot occur this side of eternity. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2001, 08:51 AM

Chris, About your customer with the 80+ photos with instruction manual--I met her clone, except this on walked in with an old biscuit tin(vintage late 1890-1910 era) and a shoebox FULL of old photos and kindly told me " Make some copies of the ones you think my kids might like." and left. OH MY, with such detailed instructions how can you go wrong? Fortunatly I was able get back in touch with her and spent about 4 hours sorting out some of the most interesting old photos detailing daily life in the Northcentral Montana area I have have ever seen, so I guess every cloud does have a silver lining as it were. I love examining the old photos and these contained a wealth of detail about everything from fashion to farm equipment. Good talking with you, Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2001, 10:39 AM

Yes Doug I got her information. Not only that but when she paid I with a check and I was so eager to finish business with her that I didn't notice the check wasn't signed. Boy did I have a panic attack when I saw that. First I thought I was stiffed then I knew I would have to call her and deal with the situation. Turns out she really made the mistake innocently and gave me a new SIGNED one. I was lucky. God how I hate the business end of things.

I had another couple (real nice thankfully) who brought a 100 Russian document to be restored. It was all taped (probably 50 years ago) and folded. When I opened it in front of them it started to destruct even more. I told them what it would cost to even try to fix something like that and they left. I was glad because that would have taken months to fix.

I can't even imagine someone bringing a box of photos and aggreeing to the restoration prices to fix them all and I live in the "rich" Boca Raton. Most of these people want miracles for nothing.

DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2001, 11:01 AM

Dj, On the occasions that the "shoebox" has shown up, I usually encourage the customer to select only the best for reproduction/restoration(usually this works out to at the most 5) and to consider having the rest scanned and burned to CD in original condition at the original scan resoultion and keeping that CD in their safety deposit box. That way as they can afford it they can bring the CD in and get other ones "done". Thats why I burn two files ; a file for Web/screen viewing and the other for working on. This has worked out pretty well so far. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2001, 06:56 PM

Excellent suggestion Thomas!!!
I will definately do that if I ever get that situation. It may even generate future business from them and not scare them away with the huge cost to do them all at once. Thanks for the advice. I will store that one away for future use for sure.
Boy with all you guys helping me, my business savvy is really moving into the big league.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs