RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Advertise Here

What's the going salary for retouchers in NYC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Question What's the going salary for retouchers in NYC?

The studio that I've been freelancing at has asked me to submit my salary requirement for a full-time position. There is medical and dental insurance included after 3 months, though I would have to partially pay into it.

Does anyone know what the going salary for a retoucher in NYC is? They have been paying me $55/hour but I'm not sure how to gauge a salary from that. Do I just base it on a 40 hour workweek or do I factor in the benefits? I want to give them a reasonable number and be happy with it.

If anyone that is currently working full-time in NYC wouldn't mind letting me know what they started at, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks... David
Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Re: What's the going salary for retouchers in NYC?

Salary.com lists different job descriptions and the going pay rate for different geographic regions based on industry Human Resource numbers. You will need to work with their calculators. Its a starting point that is neutral and unbiased based on input data...adjust your rates from there. In todays economy just having a job...plus the experience and resume listing you will get...may be worth a salary that is a bit below what youre hoping for. NYC is one of the most expensive food, real estate and transportation cities in the world.

I hear that the first one to mention price in the negotiations has the weaker hand...let them make you an offer first is the advice of some. Its tough to negotiate long term salary and benefits. Sometimes benefits can be as high as 20-30% of your base number...the employer will be figuring those costs into the base rate they offer you.

Wish you the best of luck

Ray12
Old 10-29-2011, 03:42 PM

Generally speaking, employers want to offer you "less" for a full time gig, than what they have been paying you as a freelancer. That is their only real incentive, as they will now be assuming tax issues, unemployment compensation and benefits. That being said, I would start high - near where you are and let them negotiate you down to where you "really" expected to be. You can also try to negotiate regular reviews and pay increase intervals in the package.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:50 AM

For a full time position with benefits I would ask for 80k+ and aim to land somewhere in the low 70's. This is based on your freelance rate. I was in this situation and this was the offer I accepted w/ 401K. Don't forget to negotiate your time off. It's rough out there. Hope this helped man. Good Luck!