Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

I Need Some Help!

Old 10-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Exclamation I Need Some Help!

Hello everyone, I'm a Senior in high school and I just can't figure out what I should do in the future. I love retouching/graphic design and have had a passion for it for around 4 years now. I've always wanted to get into a retouch based career. I'm moving to Denver, Colorado next year. So far I've decided to take two years to just get my basic classes done at a community college. Other than that I am lost on what I should do.. I have thought about going to The University of Colorado, Denver for Digital Art after community college but I don't know if the money for college is worth it. I have also thought about what if I never went to a university and somehow found a way to work my way up in the retouch business otherwise. However, I have no idea what there is to offer retouch wise in Denver. Overall, my point being is I am very lost on what to do and I need some advice, anything will help. Thank-you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Re: I Need Some Help!

I'd recommend studying painting and drawing, regardless of whatever else you pursue. Study art theory and history, as well. Consider Art Institute in Denver.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 AM

I just did a quick google search for "denver retouching studios" and got this link:

My advice would be to find all of the studios like this in the city, and all of the advertising agencies, and maybe even some of the busier photography studios and offer to intern. You'll likely learn more usable information and technique that way. School is good, don't get me wrong. But in my experience, the photoshop and retouching classes I had in college in no way prepared me for real world professional scenarios. What art school gave me was a connection and a foot in the door. A very expensive foot in the door.
The downside to an internship is that it might not pay well, if at all. I think if I were entering the field now, as opposed to ten years ago, I'd rather have a non-paying internship that offers "real" training than spend a ton of money and not really know anything afterward.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2011, 03:33 PM

I agree with eraanexact. There is nothing in school today that will better prepare you for a start in Retouching that a 100.00 DVD video tutorial (as well the tutorials you can watch here at this site) won't do do. Problem is finding that studio that will give you the opportunity that he is describing. That being said, knowledge is invaluable and there is certainly nothing wrong with broadening your educational scope and widening your horizons. College is always a good experience. Albeit an expensive (and becoming even more expensive) one.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs