RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Real Work Scenarios

Old 10-29-2011, 05:45 PM

Real Work Scenarios

I am often asked about the differences between real work scenarios. versus tutorials or school project assignments.

The main difference I see is that real work scenarios are often far less monumental and fine-art artworks, than some would have you believe. They are often simply image manipulation/color correction and/or retouching that needs to be done professionally, efficiently and most importantly - quickly. Oh yeah... there is also no plug-in or filter that will accomplish the request.

The example that I am posting is a typical everyday challenge. Someone has designed a pamphlet, it has been approved, BUT someone (usually a boss) wants to "see" some other examples of COVER image choices. Images are searched for (either out of our in-house, photography libraries or stock houses) and presented to that someone. The final choice often-times does not either fit the crop, or is less appropriate for the initial intended visual sentiment.

But nonetheless, it is preferred. So... it lands on your desk - and is due to be released in an hour.

In this instance, the crop takes away from the emotive quality of the shot and the "caring" sentiment of the pamphlet.

The solution. Bend the woman down closer to the man (most likely her husband). Make her appear as if she is looking more at him and less out at the camera (in other words, foreshorten her face). Pull his blanket up - cause it definitely has to be in the crop, to show that he is sick. We also want his hands and the kleenex. So... 1. He is sick, 2. She is caring for him and 3. She is compassionate and close.

That done. Ink hits the press. Pamphlets are distributed. The original design message is retained and in a few months - maybe a year - they will be in a landfill (or better yet - recycled) and a new pamphlet will be being distributed.
Attached Images
File Type: gif SICK_PATIENT.gif (94.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg SICK_PATIENT.jpg (84.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg SICK_PATIENT_DESIRED_CROP.jpg (82.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg SICK_PATIENT_DESIRED_CROP2.jpg (84.6 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 PM

Re: Real Work Scenarios

How did you get the face to foreshorten so dramatically?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 AM

I enjoyed your writeup. Please keep 'em comin'.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2011, 11:43 AM

JC... I pathed out the woman and copied and pasted her over same trunk/waist area. I then rotated the woman's upper trunk - clockwise. I removed her from the background image (so no double image). I then did some warp transform to better line up up some lower shirt fold lineup. Flattened. Pixel cloned to seam it all up. Then I did LIQUIFY mostly from here on out. Liquify to foreshortening her face, also to pull up the covers on the man. Then some finetuning to correct any elongation or irregular distortions inadvertently created in the process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Patron

Thanks. That required quite an eye for perspective detail to keep it looking real. Fantastic job, and that foreshortening is something I personally would not have thought of doing - thanks for sharing! Great ideas and great execution!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-05-2011, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I would have really struggled if I had been asked to "somehow make" her look down more. I have to play around with Liquify more, as it seems to have been pretty effective here. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs