Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Are you a professional independant digital retoucher?

Old 07-26-2002, 05:03 AM
Hi Aric, and Welcome!
I've been doing restorations "professionally" for a few years.
I do freelance work and also work with a local camera shop, as their outsource for restorations and enhancements.

Although I've been in business for a while, I don't actively promote it, as I'm not in a position handle a full time workload. (However, my husband's company is closing down, and I will probably rethink that)

This is a lonesome sort of business, as it is often a one man/woman operation. What I like most about this site, is that I get a chance to talk with others who are also in this line of work. (I have yet to meet anyone in my area that has any idea what this is all about.)
I would say that I frequent this site more than any other place on the net.
It's addicting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2002, 05:47 AM
I have done a few photo manipulations for money but I don't think I'm quite up to speed yet on retouching.

Fortunately I've learned more in the short time I've been on this board than I have the last couple of years working on my own.

I find the descriptions that are given with each retouch to be quite helpful to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2002, 07:59 AM

I know I am going to love it here. Now I can retouch, listen to music, eat my lunch, talk to other retouchers, and watch Jerry Springer all at the same time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 08:06 AM
I New here as well

I am amazed at this site as well. I thought I was pretty good at what I do. In fact a photographer complemented my work on another site and refered me here. I joined up and have been inspired eversince.

Let's hang out here and get better at what we love to do.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 10:27 AM

Hi all, I am a professional retoucher, i work for a high end retouching company and we work for the beauty, fashion and advertising industries.. im liking this site alot and its nice to know that people share my passion for retouching. Ive moved and now live in NYC ( its been 5 months now ) I was sponsored to move here from london with a 3-year O1 visa by the company i work for.. im very blessed to be doing what i love...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Well I've been a retoucher for about 14 years. Freelancing since 1997. 99.9% of my business comes from commercial work. I've done little to no consumer "restoration" work.

Things have changed though. I do more design work (web) now than retouching. And I can't seem to charge as much anymore. I guess it's because the market is saturated with so-called Photoshop experts. I've had to adapt to survive. And now I've been learning to become a photographer. I have a website, but don't use it much as all my work comes from word-of-mouth.

Lately, it's been real tough and I had to take a part time job in order to get health benefits. I consider myself very fortunate to find a part time job that provides benefits.

But Spring is coming and as always, the warm weather revitalizes me. I'll be doing my usual doorstep marketing and hopefully, things will pick up again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs